Tortoise not active :(

Jensen1995

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
I have a 3 months old yellow footed tortoise. I’m curious that is it every tortoise will stay at one corner for the whole day? Even in the morning, when I feed him I need to carry him to the food only he will it. If not the food will leave there for the whole day.
At the beginning I tot Ian becuz the tortoise table I make for him is too small so I get a bigger one around 120cm x 80cm but the result still th same.

Michael231

California
Hello!

It is quite normal for young tortoises to sleep for unusual durations! However, it’s odd he doesn’t even come to eat.

What are you feeding him? What is the temperature and humidity of his enclosure?

Jensen1995

Malaysia
Hello!

It is quite normal for young tortoises to sleep for unusual durations! However, it’s odd he doesn’t even come to eat.

What are you feeding him? What is the temperature and humidity of his enclosure?
Hisbiscus leaf and flower plus mazuri pellets
The temperature is around 32-34 Celsius and the humidity is 80-90

Jensen1995

Malaysia
Hello!

It used to come to eat but since I changed to the bigger enclosure it doesn’t come.
Between I put him outdoor

Changa

Ca
It used to come to eat but since I changed to the bigger enclosure it doesn’t come.
Between I put him outdoor
Hello, I'm no expert what I have read on the forum;
Change does affect.
Do u soak?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is quite hot for a little tortoise that is contained within four walls and has no way to escape the heat. I keep my babies at around 80F with a couple hiding places and a few plants to offer shade and escape from the bright light.

Michael231

California
When you say 32-34 degrees, where did you take this temperature? Was it directly under the basking light? Or in the cooler section of your enclosure?

Jensen1995

Malaysia
That is quite hot for a little tortoise that is contained within four walls and has no way to escape the heat. I keep my babies at around 80F with a couple hiding places and a few plants to offer shade and escape from the bright light.
There is couple hiding places and shade. But it prefer to stay at the corner which is one of the shade . So I think it is normal that baby tortoise not walking around

Jensen1995

Malaysia
When you say 32-34 degrees, where did you take this temperature? Was it directly under the basking light? Or in the cooler section of your enclosure?
I didn’t put any basking light,but i assume it is the hot site of the enclosure;)

Michael231

California
I didn’t put any basking light,but i assume it is the hot site of the enclosure;)
If there is no basking light does that mean he is outside? If your ambient temperature of the enclosure is 32-34 Celsius, that should definitely be changed, as that is much too hot for a young yellowfoot. I'd lower the ambient temperature to around 26-28 Celsius, and provide both a low wattage incandescent bulb as well as a UVB/UVA bulb (ReptiSun 5.0 works well for this). Young yellowfoot tortoises require a basking area in the 30-32 Celsius range, however this should not be how hot the entire enclosure is. Like @Yvonne G said, you should have a cooler section of the enclosure that is in the lower 24-26 Celsius range that includes a humid hide area. I personally use sphagnum moss, and haven't had any problems, but there seems to be some speculation about if it can cause impactions on occasion on the forum.

On the opposite end of the enclosure it is imperative to provide an incandescent bulb for heat, and a UVB/UVA emitting bulb. This section of the enclosure can be a bit warmer. If you are keeping your tortoise outdoors, no need for lighting, but I would worry that wherever you are keeping it is too hot, and it may need to move indoors...

Yellowfoot tortoises have a wide range over much of South America, starting east of the Andes Mountain range in Colombia and extending into northern and potentially central Bolivia. In most of these places, yellow foot tortoises live in humid jungles, where the amount of sunlight reaching the forest floor is minimal. This means, compared to red foots, yellow foots are a little more temperature and humidity sensitive.

Jensen1995

Malaysia
If there is no basking light does that mean he is outside? If your ambient temperature of the enclosure is 32-34 Celsius, that should definitely be changed, as that is much too hot for a young yellowfoot. I'd lower the ambient temperature to around 26-28 Celsius, and provide both a low wattage incandescent bulb as well as a UVB/UVA bulb (ReptiSun 5.0 works well for this). Young yellowfoot tortoises require a basking area in the 30-32 Celsius range, however this should not be how hot the entire enclosure is. Like @Yvonne G said, you should have a cooler section of the enclosure that is in the lower 24-26 Celsius range that includes a humid hide area. I personally use sphagnum moss, and haven't had any problems, but there seems to be some speculation about if it can cause impactions on occasion on the forum.

On the opposite end of the enclosure it is imperative to provide an incandescent bulb for heat, and a UVB/UVA emitting bulb. This section of the enclosure can be a bit warmer. If you are keeping your tortoise outdoors, no need for lighting, but I would worry that wherever you are keeping it is too hot, and it may need to move indoors...

Yellowfoot tortoises have a wide range over much of South America, starting east of the Andes Mountain range in Colombia and extending into northern and potentially central Bolivia. In most of these places, yellow foot tortoises live in humid jungles, where the amount of sunlight reaching the forest floor is minimal. This means, compared to red foots, yellow foots are a little more temperature and humidity sensitive.
Thanks for the advice but even if i keep it inside the house, the temperature cannot even be lower until 24-26 Celsius. Our country normal temperature range is around 31-34 so any suggestions?

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
Keep in mind that a baby tortoise that moves around very much in nature is going to end up being lunch for a predator. They instinctively remain still and hide most of the time.