Tortoise not eating post op

lucylou99

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Hi just after some advise on what foods I can try to tempt my horsefield into eating. She's had a really rough few months with an op to remove eggs that were too big to pass and a month on a feeding tube. They have removed the tube as she had started to nibble a few leaves but not really progressed more than the odd leaf. I'm in the UK, just in case someone sends me on a hibiscus flower hunt, and although outdoor weeds may be preferable its freezing temps and snowing at the moment and not much available near by. Although I don't normally give it her I did put a bit of pak choi in yesterday to see if it would tempt her and she did nom it up. It's the only thing that's really got her interest this week and more worried about her weight dropping that splitting hairs over the horrors of pak choi. Anyone any ideas on tempting but suitable food available in UK??

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know what is available there. There is something that is equivalent to Mazuri that I don't remember the name of. Hope her recovery goes well! And someone else comes along to help you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what's available there either. But here are some suggestions. Endive, arugula, spring mix (remove most of the spinach) add small amounts of romaine. Some stores sell dandelion. Kale and collard greens sparingly, mustard greens, carrot tops, to name a few. Keep her hydrated. If you can't soak her in warm water yet, feed more romaine than normal as it will help with hydration.
Good luck keep us posted.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon Our hermanns tortoise loves radicchio - it's the red and white leaved cabbagey stuff often found in small bits in mixed salads. We have to make special long journeys to a supplier to get it (as a whole head), but it keeps well for weeks in the fridge. It might be possible to get it easily in Sheffield, but if not, you might like to try a bit from a mixed salad bag first. Also, arugula is the USA word for rocket, in case you didn't know.
Good luck from Angie

lucylou99

Sheffield
Welcome from Devon Our hermanns tortoise loves radicchio - it's the red and white leaved cabbagey stuff often found in small bits in mixed salads. We have to make special long journeys to a supplier to get it (as a whole head), but it keeps well for weeks in the fridge. It might be possible to get it easily in Sheffield, but if not, you might like to try a bit from a mixed salad bag first. Also, arugula is the USA word for rocket, in case you didn't know.
Good luck from Angie

lucylou99

Sheffield
Thanks. She's always been a really fussy eater and her go to is any red lettuce but completely ignores rocket which is annoying because its easy to grow and has better nutrition I'd think. Just trying her with a few greens today so will see what happens! Her iron levels are low so some leafy greens would be preferable but not sure fussy pants will touch them! I'll have a scout for radicchio at the town Market tom. Thanks!

lucylou99

Sheffield
I don't know what's available there either. But here are some suggestions. Endive, arugula, spring mix (remove most of the spinach) add small amounts of romaine. Some stores sell dandelion. Kale and collard greens sparingly, mustard greens, carrot tops, to name a few. Keep her hydrated. If you can't soak her in warm water yet, feed more romaine than normal as it will help with hydration.
Good luck keep us posted.
Thanks, I should be able to start soaking her now. She's basically patched up with clay bless her. I've been popping in a bit of iceberg. Useless for nutrition but lots of water and was concerned with dehydration.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
There is a probiotic product called Benebac, or Nutribac, which restores the gut flora and stimulates appetite after sickness, surgery and antibiotics. I would try to get it in this case, it may help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As previously mentioned. Antibiotics can shut down digestion.
Is your tortoise drinking?
Dehydration can happen in days. Starvation of a previously healthy tortoise can take months.
If she is drinking. You can place a little carrot or sweet potato baby food into the water. It will provide some nutritional value. And very often will re start the interest in eating.
These are not foods that the tortoise would usually eat. But they do get them excited about food

lucylou99

Sheffield
Thanks, I think reptoboost is the nearest thing in the UK recommended to boost appetite that can be added to bathing water if anyone has experience of it? I don't think she's dehydrated judging by her eyes and she has had a little of the greens I gave her earlier. She never drinks from the water in the enclosure but always when I bathe her so going for a little soak before bed.