Tortoise not eating

LeanneW

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford
Hello!!

wondered if you lovely lot could help us.

Pebble is a 7 month old hermanns usyally happy, active and lively.

about a month ago Pebble went off of her food usually salad and the odd dandlion if i could find one... she just wouldnt eat it.
so i brought komodo tortoise food and that was fine shr was eating and happy.

however about week and a half 2 weeks ago pebble has started to eat less of the komodo food and wont touch any real food maybe an odd bite here and there.

she is still very lively to the point now sje will not stay in her viv... all she does is climb the walls to try an escape until she flips and this will be continuous all day.

we take her out put her on the bed and she wonders round happily and will settle and hide under a pillow and sleep until it is bedtime anf we put her in her hole.

she is hydrated urates have no grit.

we were concerned perhaps she had no UVB emitted from her lighg so brought a new one.. and she has coir with a humidity kept around 80%.

Help if you can we are worried! she really livley hates her tank and food!! need to.encouraged to eat pr hand fed..

she is like a nauty toddler but we are really worried somthing is up especially as she is our baby!!

Thank you! 1555605346459.jpeg1555605425286.jpeg1555605460504.jpeg

xMario

Germany
Hello!!

wondered if you lovely lot could help us.

Pebble is a 7 month old hermanns usyally happy, active and lively.

about a month ago Pebble went off of her food usually salad and the odd dandlion if i could find one... she just wouldnt eat it.
so i brought komodo tortoise food and that was fine shr was eating and happy.

however about week and a half 2 weeks ago pebble has started to eat less of the komodo food and wont touch any real food maybe an odd bite here and there.

she is still very lively to the point now sje will not stay in her viv... all she does is climb the walls to try an escape until she flips and this will be continuous all day.

we take her out put her on the bed and she wonders round happily and will settle and hide under a pillow and sleep until it is bedtime anf we put her in her hole.

she is hydrated urates have no grit.

we were concerned perhaps she had no UVB emitted from her lighg so brought a new one.. and she has coir with a humidity kept around 80%.

Help if you can we are worried! she really livley hates her tank and food!! need to.encouraged to eat pr hand fed..

she is like a nauty toddler but we are really worried somthing is up especially as she is our baby!!

Thank you! View attachment 270166View attachment 270167View attachment 270168
A picture of ur enclosure would be great for further help [emoji16]

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Leanne, have you seen the Hermanns caresheet? www.thetortosietable.org.uk is also a good guide to tort safe food.
You have a nice enclosure , but I think your thermometer could be lower so that you are measuring the temps at tort level. The ones pet shops sell sometimes aren't very reliable but a digital temp gun is ideal for spot checking temps. I bought mine from Amazon - about £10. then you can double check her temps are right.
Also I'm wondering if because she has been out wandering in a bigger space, she is no longer satisfied with being in her viv, maybe try putting a sight barrier across the front so she can't see the great outdoors she may settle more. Do you have a garden where she can have some outdoor time in a safe enclosure now the weather is getting warmer in the UK and how often do you give her a warm soak?
I assume that, like me, you've had to rely on shop bought salads for her through the winter, so perhaps if you could post what you have tried we could suggest a wider variety and better options.