tortoise off schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi everyone! Long time no post. I had a crazy 90 hour work week, so it's good to be back with the world.

Trevor got in a weird mood while I was busy. He's been sleeping (he burrows in the aspen) until in the afternoon, sometimes we'll dig him out then and he's still asleep. He hasn't been hungry until evening (only a few nibbles before then), and not quite as much as usual (1/2 to 2/3). I'm not to the point I'm worried yet, but I'm slightly concerned. If he had stopped eating, I'd be worried. A little less active then usual, but still is out and about. Bathroom habits normal. Generally he looks very healthy. Still alert. Maybe slightly slower than usual though.

He has a coccidia that we treated him for, and he still tested positive after the antibiotics. He's never had symptoms, so it was decided we'd keep an eye on him and re-test every few months, or if he shows symptoms like loss of appetite or loose stool. We didn't want to subject him to antibiotics again since last time it was 3 rounds of 5 days, and I could tell they upset him tummy. We're hoping either his body takes care of it, or that the low parasite load won't bother him.

So far my idea is to not feed him one day, and then get him up the next morning and feed him to try and get him back on his typical schedule. His usual schedule is getting up at 9/10am, eating within an hour of getting up, and going to bed around 3/4pm. I'd take him to the vet if he had actual symptoms of anything, but at this point I don't think the vet could tell me more than I already know.

Any thoughts?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Nigel has been weird too lately. Anouk is up and next to her plate BY 9:30. Nigel, stays buried, shows no interest in food, kicks it all around his enclosure so that in the afternoon (around 4 or so) I just pick everything up, and give him a fresh pile. And even then, I have to put his butt in front of the pile to get him to eat it. I've even tried Romaine lettuce, red pepper, squash...he's not super excited about any thing anymore....won't even polish off a whole piece of pepper. :(

He's not lethargic though...He does laps and climbs and pushes things, just no appetite. I don't know if its the month, or what.

Have you been having a heat wave? Or lots of rain?

Both mine are lazy butts on rainy days. They sleep alot....and even Noushka will only nibble here and there, not her usual piggy self.

They are sensitive to the barometric pressure system, and the weather. The cool days they are dormant, staying burrowed to preserve heat. And on the really hot days, they stay buried to AVOID the heat.

I don't know what Nigel's problem is. I think I am going to do a thread about him though...you have spurred me.

But I guess I just wanted to say that I have been having the same problem.....I think its the summer. Nigel seems to eat better in the winter.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Tallula too has been quite strange....lol. Usually I wake up and she's waiting in her food dish looking for me, but since we came back from holiday, she's been asleep every day when I've woken up, and I dish up her food, and wait, and nothing...so i actually wake her up, pick her up give her a tickle and put her in front of her food, her legs splayed and she closes her eyes again. So I wake her again, say hello and "you must eat my girl" and then she wolfs it all down (which is a good thing!) and lately shes been falling asleep again in her dish after her food. Maybe it'll just take a while for her to get back into my routine again and not my house mates. She is pretty active, not sure what she does during the day though. This wknd she was bathed and let out to sun bathe, but its too hot, after 15mins in the sun, she runs for cover in the shade. Maybe its just the heat? Poop is ok when i've seen it! Maybe they're all linked telepathically and are on strike? haha. Tallula will be getting yummier food in two weeks time when I buy all her plants!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We got over a heat wave about a week ago (we was ravenous as usual during it). We have had a little rain, but it's Washington and most of the time I had him we've had rain. I figure he's more used to that than nice weather. lol talking about weather for an indoor tortoise. Glad I'm not the only one! Guess I shouldn't worry unless there is actually a problem to worry about.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The joke for awhile is that Trevor missed me since I was working so much, but alas he's still mopey. Hopefully he eats his birthday cake today! I'll post pictures sometime later. Off to the store for edible flowers. We already got some pictures with his birthday hat. He's so moody that he stood still!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Kate,
Wow, 90 hours a week... That is a lot :).
Hermy does that sometimes, he acts weird for a a day or 2, sleeps more... and after everything goes back to normal.
Keep us updated please:)
I can't wait to see your little Trevor eating his birthday cake :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Lol I think Tallula is just being a lazy bum. I'm not too worried as she's eating like a piglet, finishes all her food. :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Birthday post on it's way. Trevor did much better today! We skipped feeding him yesterday. A little protest when he was hungry at dinnertime, but my fiance woke him up late this morning and he ate a little before noon! More importantly, he was very active. I think getting his appetite back will come in time. He did very well on the birthday cake, and gained 2 grams last week (normal for him).

Status
Not open for further replies.