Tortoise on back!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
Just for curiosity... How long can a tortoise be laid on their back without suffocating? I worry I won't see my babies on their back in time so I keep there water dish out their pen!! They climb in fine but climbing out they end up flipping! Any thoughts or ideas??!.....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It depends bigger ones won't last as long. if yours is constantly flipping over when climbing out you should find one with shallower edges to make it easier to climb out of.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You can certainly try out a flatter dish to see what happens while your are around to monitor....

If you are still concerned about flip drowning...and you soak your baby at least once and sometimes twice a day during warmer weather...then leaving a soaking dish out of the enclosure when you are not around is not a bad thing.....also, if you are going to choose to leave a water dish out...when ever you give your food offerings make sure to spray them dripping wet with cool water and this will also increase their water intake.....:D

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
I have a dish from the pet store that ramps in & out but they climb out the sides an flip so I have just bees soaking them and sometimes I go mist them down with a mister ... We love in Louisiana so it's hot and humid! Thank you !!! There like my babies to me and my kids!!!

Attachments

• image-55959075.png
    image-55959075.png
    588 KB · Views: 8
  • image-3730491394.png
    image-3730491394.png
    659 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.