Tortoise on its back

EmmaE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
hello, i found my tortoise on her back. she had been that way for 20 minutes maximum. i didnt see any poop or pee around the area where she fell (she was under the basking lamp) then we corrected her and she went straight to eating. then i offered her some water (held a little cap up to her chin) and then she didnt drink, had a bite of food, and then started doing something strange...

she started rapidly moving her head all the way in and out of her shell and opening her mouth.
thoughts?

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
it might help to add that she is a hermanns dalmatian tortoise, 21 grams with a 4 centimeter carapace (hatched september 25th 2016)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Probably just a bit distressed.
As she was upside down under the basking lamp she may have overheated.
Give her a nice long soak.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Probably just a bit distressed.
As she was upside down under the basking lamp she may have overheated.
Give her a nice long soak.
I agree. I wouldn't be unduly concerned. A nice long soak and keep an eye on her.

Is there anything obvious that caused the tipping? If you post a picture of the enclosure we can give it a look over and maybe offer some suggestions

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
yes it was the spaghnum moss that was in the tank. i have a good amount of it but she's very small so she must have tumbled off. i will be using less from now on. and i am soaking her right now. she seems a little less perky and more scared than usual.

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
also should i make the water warm or cool? right now its cool

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
okay so we soaked her and now she seems REALLY hungry but we haven't seen any poop. also i should add that a week after we got her (3 weeks ago) we found out she had severe pinworms. now she has eaten all of the food in her bowl and is running around a lot and sometimes quickly pumping her head in and wiping her mouth. she also tucked her arm all the way in before. she seems uncomfortable but I'm not really sure

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
What is your cage temperature variation from cool to warm? Your tortoise isn't just over heated is it?