Tortoise on lap

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
It seems a lot of people put their tortoise on their lap I always thought that was a bad idea. What do you think

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't but if that's the way someone chooses to enjoy their animal, and it's not hurting the animal, then why not?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For short periods of time once in a while, and if they are careful to not let it fall, why not?

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
My guy doesn't seem to mind it. He explores my lap, but what he really likes is to sit sandwiched between my palms: he likes being enclosed and warm. He will stretch his neck out and just relax and let me rub his head and chin. The only other time I see him stretch out like this is under his UVB bulb, so I think it's a good sign.

I only handle him briefly once a day (aside from his soaks) and there is always a treat involved. I want him to grow up to be unafraid and interested in people.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't do it I don't like being pooped and peed on

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It seems a lot of people put their tortoise on their lap I always thought that was a bad idea. What do you think
Hi. I do every now and then. Why do you think it's a bad idea?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Hi. I do every now and then. Why do you think it's a bad idea?
I think it is a bad idea because if your tortoise is peeing liquid then it proably means that it is stressed or scared in that kind of situation and I wouldn't want my tortoise to be scared of me. If their is one thing that I have learned from watching people train animals is that every experience with the animal being worked with should be a positive one the animal being scared is not positive. (P.S. if you didn't know tortoise pee as a defense mechanism)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy doesn't like to sit on my lap, but she does climb up my chest if i'm at a good angle and snuggles under my chin.
In the garden she climbs on my feet, turns around and faces in the same direction. She will stay like that until I move her.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My large male redfoot is very content to sit on a warm lap for hours on end. If he gets fidgety I just put him away, but I think he likes being out. My little redfoot (5 inches - ish) would rather run all over and explore the boundaries of said lap so she doesn't spend time out on my lap.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I don't like the risk of the urine!!

So I just watch and hand feed now and again, I also like giving 'butt-scritches' so he shakes his bum... which is hilarious!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I don't like the risk of the urine!!

So far I've been lucky! (Though 7 years as a vet assistant means that a little tortoise pee wont ruin my day) I get more worried when he starts bobbing and grunting, that's when he DEFINITELY goes back into his enclosure...dirty perv tortoise.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
My Tidgy doesn't like to sit on my lap, but she does climb up my chest if i'm at a good angle and snuggles under my chin.
In the garden she climbs on my feet, turns around and faces in the same direction. She will stay like that until I move her.
My Redfoot doesn't mind at all and she is not afraid of me at all it seems as she doesn't pee or poop she just looks around or watches the tv lol.
Once she took a bite at my sock but probably because the color.
She will also climb up on my chest and falls asleep and naps.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the biggest risk is to your tortoise it is sitting on your lap or your chest and it gets start or scared through no fault of your own it's going to take off. images run fall off injure itself so in my mind you know the risk is smallit's still too big for me just my thoughts. I just don't want to read stories of people saying my tortoise just sitting on my lap you got scared and fell off and now its dead no one wants to see thatas always your tortoise your risk

I think it's a good way to interact with your tort and get him used to you. There's nothing worse than a tort that is afraid of you. First few times they may be scared but after a while they come round. Just give them some salad.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hahahahah!! I've only seen Shermanns manhood once... ewwww....

Ya know how little kids always want to show new people their favorite toy? Vern feels the same about his boy bits.