Tortoise opening and closing mouth

Tyler n

Location (City and/or State)
MO
I have a Herman tortoise. He just started opening and closing his mouth. Making a chomping noise. He still eats. And dosnt make noise when breathing unless I pick him up. Wandering if I should be worried about RI?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Are there any bubbles from the nose? Are the eyes watery? Does he gasp like this when resting?

What are your temperatures?
What about humidity?
What is his substrate?

Reactions: Tom

Tyler n

MO
Are there any bubbles from the nose? Are the eyes watery? Does he gasp like this when resting?

What are your temperatures?
What about humidity?
What is his substrate?
There are no bubbles at the nose. No watery eyes. Have not seen him do it when he is resting. I try and keep it at 85 degrees in the day and about 80 at night. Humidity is at 50 most the time. I’m not completely sure what substrate I use at the moment. Id have to look when I’m home

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Okay, some substrates could irritate their respitory systems. I meant does he to this when he is just standing or laying down? Is it like one yawn or gasping for air?

Rising the overall temperatures to 85 at night too using a CHE on a thermostat often help combat respiratory symptoms.

How old is your tortoise? How is his appetite? What about activity?

Tyler n

MO
I’ve seen him yawn. It dosnt look like a yawn but no sure. He did it was he was sitting in basking light. I believe he is about 1-2 years old. He eat lettuce hay and a salad topper. I also have an outdoor enclosure for him to get natural sunlight.