Tortoise penis concerns

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Is it normal to see your tortoises penis when they urinate or poop? Whenever I see my tortoise eat turnip greens sometimes he sits in his water dish, tucks his head in, raises his hind legs and then extracts his waste. After that he’s totally normal, his penis will retract and he will either lay around or go back to eating. His behavior is fine, but in the past year and half I’ve had him, this is the first time I’ve frequently seen his penis so I’m wondering if it’s because he’s straining, or is it just common behavior that torts do. Btw he’s about a year and half old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it normal to see your tortoises penis when they urinate or poop? Whenever I see my tortoise eat turnip greens sometimes he sits in his water dish, tucks his head in, raises his hind legs and then extracts his waste. After that he’s totally normal, his penis will retract and he will either lay around or go back to eating. His behavior is fine, but in the past year and half I’ve had him, this is the first time I’ve frequently seen his penis so I’m wondering if it’s because he’s straining, or is it just common behavior that torts do. Btw he’s about a year and half old
What species?
How often do you soak him?
What substrate are you using?

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Delaware
What species?
How often do you soak him?
What substrate are you using?
He’s a an eastern Hermann’s tortoise. Substrate is coco coir with a layer of cypress mulch. I soak him probably about 3 times a week as of this past month, but he soaks in his water dish a lot as well (and usually soils himself in there as well)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s a an eastern Hermann’s tortoise. Substrate is coco coir with a layer of cypress mulch. I soak him probably about 3 times a week as of this past month, but he soaks in his water dish a lot as well (and usually soils himself in there as well)
All of that sounds good. I don't see anything alarming.

What are the four temps and what heating and lighting equipment are you using?

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Delaware
All of that sounds good. I don't see anything alarming.

What are the four temps and what heating and lighting equipment are you using?
His basking temp is always ranges from 90-100 degrees, his warm side temps range from 77-85, his cool side temps range from 66- 71 (he doesn’t usually stay in his cool unless he’s walking around). His uvb source atm is a mercury vapor bulb but I’m planning on getting a t5 uvb bulb and alongside a bigger enclosure in the spring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His basking temp is always ranges from 90-100 degrees, his warm side temps range from 77-85, his cool side temps range from 66- 71 (he doesn’t usually stay in his cool unless he’s walking around). His uvb source atm is a mercury vapor bulb but I’m planning on getting a t5 uvb bulb and alongside a bigger enclosure in the spring.
I'd get rid of the MVB ASAP. That will make him pyramid and they just aren't reliable. Some make no UV at all and other make too much. Do you have a UV meter?

Addressing your original issue, it sounds like you have a precocious young male who like playing with his equipment. I don't see any glaring errors that would make me thing constipation or some other problem. What size is the enclosure? Small enclosures can cause constipation, and constipation can cause them to evert their penis when straining to defecate in some cases.

This info should help address any problems, and there is a care sheet at the bottom for more species specific info. You aren't "new" to the forum, but I don't know if you've seen all of this info yet:

LJL1982

UK
I'd get rid of the MVB ASAP. That will make him pyramid and they just aren't reliable. Some make no UV at all and other make too much. Do you have a UV meter?

Addressing your original issue, it sounds like you have a precocious young male who like playing with his equipment. I don't see any glaring errors that would make me thing constipation or some other problem. What size is the enclosure? Small enclosures can cause constipation, and constipation can cause them to evert their penis when straining to defecate in some cases.

This info should help address any problems, and there is a care sheet at the bottom for more species specific info. You aren't "new" to the forum, but I don't know if you've seen all of this info yet:
I would agree. Mine albeit older is terrible for it. I don't think it will ever not be a shocking thing to see!