Tortoise pimple

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
im so sorry to hear that. but if austwickia is at all suspect please do not bury them they can spread it to the ground and to other animals. same goes if aw is suspect there really is no prepping it for the next one the best thing to do is dispose of it. you can try to clean it but i have seen many try only to have the next one also end up getting it a few weeks to months later. it is HIGHLY recc to unfortunately start over totally. i know that sucks to hear and u wish there would be any other way i could suggest. but if you want to be safe that is the best way. if you must try cleaning it the only thing that might work is ammonia. nothing else is effective.
Oh my god, I was not aware of that, I still havent dont anything to to yet, I was planning on burying on a beach that I go to often, should I simply throw it away in the garbage disposal system?
Also do you think white bleach is enough to disinfect it?
The container that I uses as enclosure looks perfect for cleaning and starting over again.
What kind of ammonia is used to kill this bacteria?
Is this clear ammonia good?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Clear-Ammonia-All-Purpose-Cleaners-64-Fluid-Ounce/642113336
I also could use a hydrogen peroxide deluded with copper sulfate and water to try to kill it, do you think it can work?

Last edited:

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i recc cremation if you want to have something of them. its actually not that crazy expensive as most people thing for a baby. bleach does not work for this. yes you can use regular ammonia but again its still not really the most recc idea. basically ammonia so far is the only thing that has shown some effectiveness in cleaning for this. but it is a chance you are taking. i know that sucks to hear. cremation the heat is high enough to kill it off and then no risk of spreading anything to the environment.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
i recc cremation if you want to have something of them. its actually not that crazy expensive as most people thing for a baby. bleach does not work for this. yes you can use regular ammonia but again its still not really the most recc idea. basically ammonia so far is the only thing that has shown some effectiveness in cleaning for this. but it is a chance you are taking. i know that sucks to hear. cremation the heat is high enough to kill it off and then no risk of spreading anything to the environment.
I dont think cremation will even be an opption here because I highly doubt anyone will take him, what is the other safest bet?
How long can this bacteria last on the sun without any substrate?

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
These plastic containers are pretty expensive and I really do not want them to go to waste, how should I disinfect it with this ammonia?
Ive also seen people using pure sodium+ hydrogen sulfite get rid of resilient bacteria.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to reuse the container?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
you can attempt it but i will not make any promises. i have seen people try to clean and clean and clean and clean etc and still end up with a new case. so far the only thing shown to be effective are ammonia and high heat (but you will prob melt the plastic) you are def welcome to try but i dont know how well it will go, im just being honest. personally i recc a closed top setup instead of a plastic tub. or a planter bed setup works very well also. those are what we use here.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I dont think cremation will even be an opption here because I highly doubt anyone will take him, what is the other safest bet?
How long can this bacteria last on the sun without any substrate?
hard to be 100% sure tests are still on going. but we have seen up to around 3 months or so in some cases

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
cremation normally is around 150$ give or take thats for private cremation around here public cremation is even cheaper thats where they put them in with other animals and you just dont know which ashes you get in the end. but thats around 80-100$ or so at least around here i dont know about your location though. you can check with your vet or a local lab to ask if they can take them to safely dispose of them after you explain the situation. i hate to put it that way but it may be worth asking.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
cremation normally is around 150$ give or take thats for private cremation around here public cremation is even cheaper thats where they put them in with other animals and you just dont know which ashes you get in the end. but thats around 80-100$ or so at least around here i dont know about your location though. you can check with your vet or a local lab to ask if they can take them to safely dispose of them after you explain the situation. i hate to put it that way but it may be worth asking.
I do not have any crematorium that accept animals at all in my area, and it is starting to smell bad and quite frankly it is depressing to look at what once was such a happy and active hatchling destroyed by this cursed bacteria, incredibly saddening and I personally take a lot of guilt. Something that I do have though is hospitals that dispose of Biohazardeous waste and I contacted them and they can happily dispose of it, I will be taking him there tomorrow, they are probably used to way worse things so I trust that they will know how to safely dispose.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
hard to be 100% sure tests are still on going. but we have seen up to around 3 months or so in some cases
What if I do some kind of process? I could apply this ammonia everyday and leave on the scorching sun for the whole day, I could do this for maybe a week or who every day. Ammonia is cheap as dirt so cost will not be a problem. Do you think this could work?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i wish i could tell you for sure it would work. the thing is we just dont know. there is still not enough info on it. its possible but no way to tell you for sure yes or no. yeah the hospital waste (it sucks and im so sorry you have to go that way with them instead of a proper burial) is properly disposed of and incinerated.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
i wish i could tell you for sure it would work. the thing is we just dont know. there is still not enough info on it. its possible but no way to tell you for sure yes or no. yeah the hospital waste (it sucks and im so sorry you have to go that way with them instead of a proper burial) is properly disposed of and incinerated.
First of all I want to thank you for the help, I truly appreciate it, without you I would’ve thought that I failed this baby and I would've felt even more guilty. I understand that this is a incredibly resilient bacteria, but for sure it can only be so much, temperatures around here goes all the way to near 40 C, without water and exposed to this heat plus ammonia and other chemicals this bacteria can only last so long. A somewhat foolish question I have is does it have ANY chances of infecting humans? I understand that it is a very little known disease but I would like to know if there have been any kind of cases on humans and other animals that are not reptiles.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
no this can not infect humans. there have been cases seen in black crows. i do not believe anyone knows specifically why. but they have been shown to be able to carry it.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
no this can not infect humans. there have been cases seen in black crows. i do not believe anyone knows specifically why. but they have been shown to be able to carry it.
That is a bit of a relief, but I can see how this could absolutely devastate a population if it spread to any other wild specie.