Tortoise-related assistance needed ASAP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello All-

I am SO glad I found this forum. I need help. I am sorry to say that I am REALLY new to tortoises and what to do with them, but I'm facing a situation. I live in a small town in northern Maine (U.S.). Two days ago, I woke up to find an ENORMOUS tortoise in my back yard. (At first I thought it was a turtle, but the turtle forum directed me here). I think it is called a Galapagos tortoise. It is probably 4 feet long and weighs about 500 pounds. It must have escaped from a circus or a private zoo or something, but the local sheriff is of absolutely no help. His only suggestion was that we, "put it out of its misery, and use the shell for a coffee table". Needless to say, I felt that this was a bit extreme.

My questions are:

1) Does anybody know of a traveling tortoise circus or some other place in Maine which may have lost a tortoise;
2) While I am waiting, what and how much should I feed it? So far I have given it some lettuce, bread and raw bacon. It didn't like the bacon much so I have been wrapping it in lettuce leaves to ensure it gets enough protein;
3) Where do pet tortoises sleep? I have let this one sleep in the bed with me the past two nights, but it likes to burrow under the covers and it also smells very "earthy". Plus I have not been able to housebreak it yet. Is there a trick to housebreaking a tortoise?;
4) Do I need to worry about my cats? I have heard that some reptiles and/or marsupials are known to attack and eat cats. I think my cat is quicker, but if the tortoise stays still, I am sure he can trick the cat into thinking he's a rock and then snatch her.;
5) Any suggestions on names? I was thinking of calling it Greg. (When I settle on a name is it okay to spray paint it on it's shell or should I use acryllic?)

Thanks in advance.

Sonny

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
haha, I love this post! if only tortoises actually slept in bed with the owners haha.

Sonny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
UMDRunner said:
haha, I love this post! if only tortoises actually slept in bed with the owners haha.

If only I were joking... My bed is a King-sized futon (low to the ground). He crawled up there on his own accord. He also ate half of the John Grisham novel that was on my nightstand. (It was "The Firm" which has a green cover - I think he thought it was lettuce).

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Sonny

Do you have a picture to show us, maybe it could help someone in this forum with experience to tell you what kind of species the tortoise you found is?

Isa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought on this post is that someone is pulling our collective legs. If a tortoise of that size had been lost, there would be a public outcry...news flashes...large ads in the paper! This is a valuable tortoise and the original owner would leave no stone unturned to find his tortoise. If you can't provide us with a picture, I'm afraid I have to think you are trying to be funny.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My first thought on this post is that someone is pulling our collective legs. If a tortoise of that size had been lost, there would be a public outcry...news flashes...large ads in the paper! This is a valuable tortoise and the original owner would leave no stone unturned to find his tortoise. If you can't provide us with a picture, I'm afraid I have to think you are trying to be funny.

Yvonne

Exactly what I was thinking.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui said:

Yvonne

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hmmm now that I re-read the post. You have a point.

Isa

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK
Yep I thought it was probably a joke aswell.

Why would you even think of putting something that big in your bed? And if its a house how did it get up there if its so big! lol, their shells aren't colouring pads either!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This sounds like that young teen-ager in Fresno, CA who tried to sell us a Galop a month or so back. If it is you...we know your address and I WILL contact your grandfather about this.

Yvonne

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Yvonne,

I'm thinking the same. If this newbie doesn't write back with a picture, Josh should penalize him/her. If he/she could use the computer to get on this forum (I figure he/she is pretty smart), then at least do some research, now a day one can google almost anything.
Don't let this upset us. Life is short. I wonder what is his/her next move?

Minh

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
if it does exist you need to seek help, send us a picture of it, and remove it from your home.

what is the name of the "local sheriff" that suggested to kill it? he should be fired for even suggesting such a thing.

Sonny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This sounds like that young teen-ager in Fresno, CA who tried to sell us a Galop a month or so back. If it is you...we know your address and I WILL contact your grandfather about this.

Yvonne

Yvonne et al. -

I am sorry if this post seems ridiculous. Believe me the entire situation is ridiculous to me as well. I contacted all of the proper authorities and I scoured the internet for information as to how a tortoise showed up in my back yard. Believe me, if a joke is being played, it's on me. I'm the one with a quarter ton animal running free in my home. I looked to you people for help because I had nowhere else to turn. I'm sorry if I came to the wrong place. Good luck with your tortoises. Incidentally, Greg took a bath this morning in my jacuzzi and I swear he smiled when the bubbles went into his shell (is that weird?) I will look to other forums for assistance and I thank you all for your time.

Sonny

P.S. I do have a picture if you care

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Sonny,

Please reload the picture, it did not show up. or you can email it to me at [email protected]

Can you please call me to talk about the tortoise. I can help you.

I have been with tortoises for more than 20 years.

Please call me at 661-312-6311 or 818-576-5418.

I am here to help you, please contact me as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Cory

Sonny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
to the poster of this thread...your IP is logged, so we know your physical address. if you hurt, kill or torture this tortoise (if it indeed exists), you will be fined, thrown into jail, and personally spit on by me.

if it does exist you need to seek help, send us a picture of it, and remove it from your home.

what is the name of the "local sheriff" that suggested to kill it? he is guilty of aiding and abiding a felony. he should be fired for even suggesting such a thing.

I don't want to name the sheriff publicly for fear of any repercussions he might take against the tortoise. Email me for information separately. By the way, when he came by he also turned Greg over on his shell, spun him in a circle, and yelled "breakdance BABY!" He's a real a-hole.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
And jacuzzis usually are something you climb into.. if its ground level.. then its 3-4 feet deep and a tort would drown...
Its a farse...
We need proof. REAL proof.

byrdman1971

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Yvonne

LOL! I'm with you Yvonne, I don't buy this crap for a second. Having personally been jerked around by that stupid little twit, it just sounds WAY too familiar and just as unbelievable. Break dancing 500 pound tortoise? Yeah right. She actually said last time that she was flying out of state with her 500 pound tortoise. I'll give her this though; her spelling and grammar have dramatically improved. After a few emails, I figured she must be drooling on the keyboard.
BTW: I do still have your full name, email and home address.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i got this email from him...
Sonny Landham <[email protected]> to me
show details May 30 (3 days ago)

Sorry, but it's a moot point now. After all the venom I was hit with on that forum, I opted to seek help elsewhere. I don't live far from the Central Aroostook Humane Society, so I coaxed Greg into the flatbed of my pickup and drove him over there. The office is closed for the weekend, but they have a fenced in (though unlocked) grassy front lawn. I left the tortoise there. I'm sure they will know how to deal with him on Monday. Word of advice though - you folks ought to take a step outside of your bubble. Maybe some of my comments seemed inane to people who are familiar with tortoises, but to me they were legitimate concerns. I work in timber. I'm not stupid, but I'm not a biologist either. Could I have spent hours researching care and feeding habits of a giant tortoise? I suppose. But frankly this was foisted upon me. I was looking for some quick and easy answers. I only wanted to do the right thing.

Enjoy your forum, though I suggest you and many of your members upgrade your pets to Rotweillers - they suit your collective personalities better.

i call this organzation, and they were open all weekend long. and no tortoise was left there.

Status
Not open for further replies.