Tortoise rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryman

5 Year Member
I have a 7 year old Sulcata tortoise named Gizmo. We live in West Texas and were wondering if there are any tortoise rescue groups in our area. Gizmo has a large indoor and outdoor enclosure and would be happy to share his space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi countryman, and welcome to the Forum!!

No, I'm afraid you're suffering under a misconception. Gizmo is perfectly happy being an only child. If you were to give him a companion, you would be inviting trouble. Another male would be fought off, probably to the death of one of them, and adding a female would curse the female to a life of torture...being hounded constantly for breeding. Plus, once you've added another tortoise, Gizmo would never go back to being the docile "pet" he is now. He would always be looking for that interloper or that female.

This is the "norm" for sulcatas. There is sometimes an exception to the rule, but more often than not, this is the norm.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No, I'm afraid you're suffering under a misconception. Gizmo is perfectly happy being an only child. If you were to give him a companion, you would be inviting trouble. Another male would be fought off, probably to the death of one of them, and adding a female would curse the female to a life of torture...being hounded constantly for breeding. Plus, once you've added another tortoise, Gizmo would never go back to being the docile "pet" he is now. He would always be looking for that interloper or that female.

This is the "norm" for sulcatas. There is sometimes an exception to the rule, but more often than not, this is the norm.

Sing it lady....and welcome to the forum ...we LOVE PICS :p

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That is very nice of you to want to help other tortoises though!!! You have a good heart.
Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.