Tortoise Shampoo! Any thoughts?

Lemonade

5 Year Member
It looks like it's safe, but my question is, Is it necessary?

jptv

If it really prevent mites and ticks; eliminates odor; kills 99.9% germs... etc. I think YES! Also just for hygiene purposes :)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I've never heard of this and with no ingredient list, it's hard to discuss safety outside their claims, but I can't see why you would need it. Tortoises don't need to be soaped up. They shouldn't have a bad odour to begin with. The tick/mite preventative properties would make me more nervous than interested in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises are not like dogs that need to be groomed and shampooed. Tortoises don't need this, it's not really going to benefit their lives, but it could harm them. Let your tortoise be a tortoise. Get a dog if you have the need to shampoo an animal, seriously.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm with Barb on this one. Your tort is in an unsafe container, they don't get mites or ticks, they don't smell and they don't need bathing, they certainly don't have bad hygiene, just give him a soak every morning for HYDRATION. 20 minutes. Remember, this is a wild animal, not a domesticated animal,treat it as such.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
This thread's comment make me feel tortoises is really easy to take care.
Gosh i choose the right pet.
I use this shampoo though, i use it because.. i don't know. i just like it when i can see bubble lol.
I brush all his body except the head. it is safe. i only use it when he is coming inside from outdoor enclosure.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Do you have a pic of the ingredient list? I really wonder what type of substance kills mites, ticks and germs but is not a chemical...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't use cuddle bones cause my torts don't fish in salt water ! And I don't see torts in the wild taking bubble bath in the wild . And apples are all natural and I don't give them to my torts either . So as with most of the long time tort owners I say : nope ! Thank you !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This thread's comment make me feel tortoises is really easy to take care.
Gosh i choose the right pet.
I use this shampoo though, i use it because.. i don't know. i just like it when i can see bubble lol.
I brush all his body except the head. it is safe. i only use it when he is coming inside from outdoor enclosure.
How do you know it is safe? It contains a kind of soap. Soap is usually drying to skin. When I see Charlie with mud on his shell, I think that maybe he did that on purpose. Maybe it cools him or feels good, like the way pigs use mud. If you want to clean your tortoise, soak him in warm water.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
How do you know it is safe? It contains a kind of soap. Soap is usually drying to skin. When I see Charlie with mud on his shell, I think that maybe he did that on purpose. Maybe it cools him or feels good, like the way pigs use mud. If you want to clean your tortoise, soak him in warm water.
Ah.. here it is. so maybe there are several reason if you want to use this product. people that own adult sulcata (which should be housing outside), should pay more attention to clean their sulcata using this product because the above reason.
I have a baby, so housing inside. i have a good control environment for the tort for now.
How i know it is safe, because before i used it, i did research, find and asked several tort keeper in my country. i dont remember much, but there is 2 people i remember using this product for at least 1 year for their tort, their tort doing good.
Me myslef using it for 4months at least, no problem too.
However, one point should take into consideration. this is all young tort, and not expose to extreme hot climate, they live inside with some outside time.
Big charlie make a very good point, there is a very high possibility that tortoise need a little dirty to control their body temperature. And if you house your tortoise outside, i find no reason to use this product too, because the minute you put them outside, they will get dirty again.
But is it safe? yes, it is, i prove it, my tort having no change behavior at all.

Sorry, i'm not good in english. :p

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Fredkas, I understood your English, but using this product for such a short length of time doesn't prove it is safe.

The life time of a tortoise is maybe a hundred years. Over time much can happen and only scientific testing over a long period can prove it is safe.

I don't know how much testing products not for human use have to go through by law. As it's not food or medicine, I suspect it is very little.

Disinfectant is for things in the enclosure like water bowls when you clean them. Good hygiene is washing your hands thoroughly after handling your tortoise and using an anti-bacterial hand gel on your hands if you wish.

Muddy tortoises respond well to a good soak in ordinary water to shift the muck. A little scrubbing with a nail brush helps with more stubborn dirt.

Outdoor torts like my Joe don't get cleaned for months - the dust washes off in the rain and when they soak and otherwise he's his natural self.

Personally, I see no need for a product like this. As Tidgy's Dad said, it looks like another way to separate money from the inexperienced. I certainly would not risk using it on Joe. After 46 years of owning him we have all survived very well without it.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Fredkas, I understood your English, but using this product for such a short length of time doesn't prove it is safe.

The life time of a tortoise is maybe a hundred years. Over time much can happen and only scientific testing over a long period can prove it is safe.

I don't know how much testing products not for human use have to go through by law. As it's not food or medicine, I suspect it is very little.

Disinfectant is for things in the enclosure like water bowls when you clean them. Good hygiene is washing your hands thoroughly after handling your tortoise and using an anti-bacterial hand gel on your hands if you wish.

Muddy tortoises respond well to a good soak in ordinary water to shift the muck. A little scrubbing with a nail brush helps with more stubborn dirt.

Outdoor torts like my Joe don't get cleaned for months - the dust washes off in the rain and when they soak and otherwise he's his natural self.

Personally, I see no need for a product like this. As Tidgy's Dad said, it looks like another way to separate money from the inexperienced. I certainly would not risk using it on Joe. After 46 years of owning him we have all survived very well without it.
A very good point. The risk is not worth it. Thank you for the good advice. ;)

jptv

After my research I am convinced to use the product. Thanks for your input guys!

jptv

In fact, in your avatar your torts are in a rabbit looking cage. Save the money from not buying the shampoo and put it towards buying a proper enclosure for them.

As of the moment, the large rabbit cage is the best and safest enclosure for my happy pair. We have dogs, we have cats, we have fighting cocks (chicken); that's the main reason why i cannot put them outside the cage.

When they grow up to 6-7inches, i will have a bigger enclosure for sure. Planning to add a radiated tortoise next year if my wife approves it... I will have a separate room in the house for all of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As of the moment, the large rabbit cage is the best and safest enclosure for my happy pair. We have dogs, we have cats, we have fighting cocks (chicken); that's the main reason why i cannot put them outside the cage.

When they grow up to 6-7inches, i will have a bigger enclosure for sure. Planning to add a radiated tortoise next year if my wife approves it... I will have a separate room in the house for all of them.
How are you able to keep humidity up? They do need it. Also you do know that species should not be mixed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
After my research I am convinced to use the product. Thanks for your input guys!
Really?!

The thought of my tort ingesting a poison strong enough to get rid of ticks is enough for me.

Water belongs in a tort soak. An electrolyte might help with a sick sort. Puréed carrot might help with a sick tort.

Nothing else in the soaking water that might be drunk

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Save your breath.
This member seems to come on here asking for advice and then just do what they wanted to do in the first place anyway.
The member asked for a vote on another thread about keeping torts in pairs. The vote was massively a "no" but the member went with the pair anyway.
Likewise advice on the rabbit cage, humidity and now this shampoo will likely be ignored.
It is the OP's decision, of course, but I worry about the long term health of these tortoises.