tortoise share

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrettjt

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata tortoise that I would like to share during the winter. I live in north utah and we get a lot of snow. We love Irwin and we don't want to get rid of him but we would like to house him somewhere warmer in the winter so he doesn't have to live in a box for 5 months a year. I know we had no idea what we were getting into with this big tortoise and should have done better homework before getting him but it is what is. We have a wonderful yard for him in the late spring, summer and the early fall. He has berries, flowers, grass and a wonderful garden to eat from, but in the winter he lives in a box and eats romaine. We would be willing to house someone elses tortoise in summer months. Any takers?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. How big is your sully? If he is of any good size, it would be very costly to ship him to someplace warm. It would be better to build him a nice size heated tort house. Large sullys can take some cold and will even go out into the snow, as long as he has a warm house to go back into. If he is smaller, build him a good size indoor enclosure. A few people even house their sullys in their basements. There are many members here in the colder states that houses large torts. Also, there is no reason he only has to eat romaine in the winter months. There are lots of stuff to feed, Mazuri tortoise chow, spring mix, endive, mustard greens, bok choy, kale, collard greens, optunia cactus, just to name a few.

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Welcome to the forum.

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, JT.

I think there are better ways to take care of your sulcata in the winter than farming him out to a warmer climate. This would be pretty stressful on the tortoise, and shipping isn't cheap.

There are people all over the northern part of the states, canada, etc. who have sulcatas. I think you'll find some good ideas here on the forum for winter sulcata care.

Jkraeski

5 Year Member
You can google tortoise enclosures outdoor and find AMAZING ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.