Tortoise Shed Ideas?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I doubt a fence that is supported by pounding stakes into the ground will be strong enough to keep a sulcata contained.

Cinder blocks can cause damage to the shell from rubbing against it, and chip it if they bang into it hard enough. The fence we had installed is fixed knot woven wire, with wooden posts that are three feet in the ground

Nellie Rose

Maryland
I doubt a fence that is supported by pounding stakes into the ground will be strong enough to keep a sulcata contained.
Ok thank you! I'll look for an alternative.
Cinder blocks can cause damage to the shell from rubbing against it, and chip it if they bang into it hard enough. The fence we had installed is fixed knot woven wire, with wooden posts that are three feet in the ground
Gotcha. Could you post a picture of your fence?

Nellie Rose

Maryland
Found this shed on Facebook. Negotiating with the seller now but hopefully it works out and I can save a bit on the shed itself, and then be able to spend more on the insulation and fenced area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240828_163608_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240828_163608_Facebook.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240828_163604_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240828_163604_Facebook.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240828_163601_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240828_163601_Facebook.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 1

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
I did this style fence and I love it. In your case I think I’d buy the shed. Insulate it with tiger foam and build a heated night box to keep inside the shed to ensure a warm 86 night and let the ambient temp be a little lower for daytime.

Attachments

• IMG_8537.jpeg
    IMG_8537.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok the Facebook shed fell through. Now looking at this one from Lowes. Its more expensive than home depot but it comes with the floor.
Do I really need to insulate the floor? Wood isn't enough to lock in the heat? I'm budgeting $1500 for insulation.
Yes you need a floor. The floor is the coldest part already as heat rises. That's why I have a ceiling fan that's on 24/7 cuz otherwise it's much colder down where the tortoises are and that's with a insulated floor.
The plastic sheds would cost a lot to heat and wouldn't hold heat well.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
I did this style fence and I love it. In your case I think I’d buy the shed. Insulate it with tiger foam and build a heated night box to keep inside the shed to ensure a warm 86 night and let the ambient temp be a little lower for daytime.
Thank you!
Yes you need a floor. The floor is the coldest part already as heat rises. That's why I have a ceiling fan that's on 24/7 cuz otherwise it's much colder down where the tortoises are and that's with a insulated floor.
The plastic sheds would cost a lot to heat and wouldn't hold heat well.
Ok gotcha.
After much discussion my father has decided he is going to build me the shed and I'll just pay him. He can build me something much higher quality and for cheaper, so I'm just giving him $2000 to start off and we'll go from there. He's aware of all my insulation needs and heating, and we're drawing up plans together.