Tortoise Sheds and fire hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Okay, I'm planning for the future here so bear with me. I'm going to have my guy a heated shed, in my mind I would ideally like to have some hay and stuff in there for him to nest in and nibble. I just can't get the thought of fire hazards out of my head, I mean, heat and dry hay? I'd like to have something like Maggie has for Bob. Not trying to make a big discussion but do you guys have any safety tips or suggestions? Please and thank you. Also, I'm planning to move next summer so I don't have anything ready for this yet.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Whenever you have electricity and hay there's always some risk. My barn has hay stored in it, and overhead lights in the stalls, altho none in the room where the hay is stored.

My lights and wiring were done by a licensed electrician. I'd have that done, and run all wires thru conduit, and placed up high enough that no one would be tempted to nibble on it :) You could also put in a sprinkler system, or at a minimum, a couple of sensors for heat and smoke. A hose/water source nearby and maybe a fire extinguisher. But I think if it's wired correctly, and out of reach, you'd be fine.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
If the shed is going against the house.. You could try a small modine heater... You would need forced hot water and a plumber.. it puts out quite a bit of heat and doesn't get as hot as electric heaters..

Buddy has one in his bike shed.. Works great..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about adding the precaution of a large mesh wire across between the heat source/light and the tortoise/hay. So if something falls, this wire would catch it. Large mesh to allow the light to pass.

I would like to have a remote sensor that would be inside the house and senses if temps get too low/too hot/or smoke starts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's what I did (see link). This would work for a shed too. A friend had the same set-up on the floor in a 3' cube nighthouse. The heater was touching the plain bare plywood wall and the tortoises slept touching it sometimes. I chose to lift it and secure it, but its pretty safe.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1XTbfpe4B

I've also ordered some radiant heat panels for ceiling mounting. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Tom said:
Here's what I did (see link). This would work for a shed too. A friend had the same set-up on the floor in a 3' cube nighthouse. The heater was touching the plain bare plywood wall and the tortoises slept touching it sometimes. I chose to lift it and secure it, but its pretty safe.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1XTbfpe4B

I've also ordered some radiant heat panels for ceiling mounting. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Oh wow, that is too cool!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tom said:

I missed that thread, I cannot wait to show it to Rob. Thank's Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.