Tortoise shell help??

Nikisha

Hi everyone, new here. I have a 1yr 4 month old horsefield tortoise. I've had him since December. Everything is fine, eating properly etc. but im not sure about his shell. It looks 'dry' and I don't know if it could be the start of shell rot etc. or just needs some hydrating. I give him a bath for 20 minutes at least once every two days, mainly everyday and scrub the shell with a soft tooth brush etc, but it seems to be drying up? Should I buy some vitashell or something? Or is it normal, please help.image.jpgimage.jpg

Nikisha

It was slightly like this when I got his from the pet shop as well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Vitashell won't harm the tortoise, but be sure to polish off the excess with a soft, absorbent cloth.

M

Maggie Cummings

He looks to dry to me. Is your substrate damp enough? His shell looks rough and kinda bumpy and I'm just wondering about his humidity...

Nikisha

He looks to dry to me. Is your substrate damp enough? His shell looks rough and kinda bumpy and I'm just wondering about his humidity...

I used to have him on topsoil and sand but I tried him on chips this month because the soil blocks were expensive and hard to come upon, I read somewhere that damp substrate can cause problems to the tortoises health so I've never thought about it, how do I sort out the humidity?

M

Maggie Cummings

I am not sure what "chips" are, but if it's wood chips I am not sure if you can keep them damp enough. He needs a damp soil that he can bury himself in for starters. They need 50 to 70% humidity, a soaking type water dish and a hide to sleep in. Russians really like to bury themselves so you are kinda cheating him in reference to those wood chips. You can use,orchid bark, cypress mulch, coir, yard dirt or several other types of substrate; keeping in mind the dampness and that he will want to bury himself. Here's a link to a care sheet that Tom drew up, it will help you.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Nikisha

image.jpg
I am not sure what "chips" are, but if it's wood chips I am not sure if you can keep them damp enough. He needs a damp soil that he can bury himself in for starters. They need 50 to 70% humidity, a soaking type water dish and a hide to sleep in. Russians really like to bury themselves so you are kinda cheating him in reference to those wood chips. You can use,orchid bark, cypress mulch, coir, yard dirt or several other types of substrate; keeping in mind the dampness and that he will want to bury himself. Here's a link to a care sheet that Tom drew up, it will help you.
image.jpg
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
this is his substrate, it's mixed with some sand also he always burys himself under that rock and he has a log hut aswell. I will try dampening the sand underneath until I can get some soil, he has a soaking dish, thanks for the help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
See how the "dryness" is on the leading edge of the scutes. Earlier in my reply I was pressed for time, but I almost typed in that it almost looks like abrasion, not dryness. Your photo confirms that. Everytime he digs in and shove himself under that sandstone ledge it is rubbing his shell.

I think your substrate is much too dry and sand is not safe in my opinion. I would not use it at all. Sand is a very serious impaction risk and it can also be a skin and eye irritant.

You can find giant blocks of the coco coir at garden centers for about $10 US. It is more than ten times the amount you get in a pet store for the same money.

You'll find humidity advice in that care sheet.