Tortoise shell

Hi All,

I have just found 3 new baby Kleinmanns tortoise in my garden. One of them however seems to have the bottom part of its shell bent ( will post photos) . I was wondering whether I can do anything about it or whether it is a genetic mutation. Could anyone please help ?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

You'll get the help you need once you post pics.

As you can all see, it is bent inwards. Is it due to hunger or is it genetic ? Should I be concerned ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 55

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What a cutie! :<3:

They are folded in the egg, so all hatchlings have that crease at first. I would keep the substrate moist and give it some time, it will probably stretch out soon. :)

Thank you very much for your reply :) is there any way I can get them to eat, and should I just stick to lettuce for now ?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Don't worry if they won't eat yet, maybe they need some days. Their yolk sack gives them enough energy to survive a few weeks without food. ;)

I would provide them with different weeds, that's more natural food than lettuce.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Here are some more pics
this is totally normal, which will grow out over the week. I'm impressed that you found them in your backyard. Dont panic. feed them with a mix of greens, romaine provides hydration. You can keep them outdoors if the conditions weather is fine and food supply gras, but better to put them inside. Look at the multiple posts. I have my baby right now in a plastic bin 20x14. They need 90F and you can put them on oystershell. UVB 10 and a basking light 25-40W. tortoises need to eat. They depend on proper temp.

ismail

5 Year Member
Annette, i also live in malta and managed to hatch some greeks from the back garden. its always a pleasant surpise to find these cuties emerging from the soil! nonethess through experience i have learnt that until the climate gets damp, the hathclings thrive outdoors. then as soon as the remperature lowers (mid October) you wil need to make an internal setup. Ensure that the temperatures are warm enough for them not to sleep all day. if you notice that they are sleeping all day youll need to find ways to make them wake up and eat. the best way is to soak them more than once in a day. the secret of the survival rate is in making them eat. if you leave them outdoors they tend to sleep all day and starve to death. if you are planning a ceramic heat source (highly recommended), please ensure that you do not dehydate them as i have seen a lot of local breeders do that mistake. i keep 28deg C under the basking lamp and it is just fine. given that indoors it never gets below 18degC they shuld be just fine. in march/april, you can reintroduce them to the garden during day and inside during night. in June till october i keep them outdors.i repeat this for the first 3 years, then i leave them outside in the garden all year long. hope this helps. if you are interested in selling one please private message me as i will be very interested in purchasing one. good luck and well done!

Thanks for your messages. They are all healthy and seem to be doing very well. We purchased a new vivarium for them since the one we had was too small to accommodate 4 of them. They all have their own character and are all very active. They have also started eating lettuce and flowers as well now :) we give them regular washes to keep them hydrated which they enjoy very much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for your messages. They are all healthy and seem to be doing very well. We purchased a new vivarium for them since the one we had was too small to accommodate 4 of them. They all have their own character and are all very active. They have also started eating lettuce and flowers as well now :) we give them regular washes to keep them hydrated which they enjoy very much.

I think it's a bad idea to allow them to get started on lettuce. It's a very hard habit to break. Like a kid with candy.

ismail

5 Year Member
How cute. If you are interested in selling, i am willing to buy one! In case just private message me please.