1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise sitter neglected poor Pip!

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Anna!, Dec 9, 2015.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Anna!

Anna! Member

I had a baby several months ago and a friend of mine offered to tortoise-sit while I figured out this mom thing. I got her back today and I think that, despite her wonderful intentions, my friend didn't take care of her like she should have. I think she has some pyramiding going on, her urates are like dry chalk, and I'm worried what else might have been affected that I can't see. I put her in the bath as soon as I got her today but I want to make sure I am doing everything j can. Other than soaking her often what can I do to help her? She is roughly a year old and has been with me since she was a couple months old. I'm attaching some photos I just took of her as she soaks.
    Thanks!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Mortis_thetortoise

Mortis_thetortoise Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    west central Florida
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    im just a noob..
    but im sure someone will second on me saying less water in the dish, i would be worried and movement would create a wave and get in their nose potentially drowning

from what i been reading on here....
    i feel like the best option would be to treat her as if you just got her for the first time
    soak her 2x a day for 30 mins make sure she has access to good healthy food all day, get her some sunlight(if possible)/UVB and warmth and increased humidty ?

i feel thats about all you can do

good luck hopefully someone else rings in !
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    2-3 soakings a day and feed some high water content foods like cucumber, water melon, aloe, head and romaine lettuce. Add these to her regular diet and and stop them when her Urates get back to normal or if she starts having really funny stools.
    Just an FYI for you and anyone reading. Tortoises are very easy really to care for. Food, water, heat and a soak for little ones, that it shouldn't really interfere with something else you need to do on a short term basis. They are not attention needy like a dog. Best to really think if a tort sitter is really needed before getting one. If they aren't reptile/ cheloneon freaks, they just aren't going to see the importance to what we do for them.
    Not meant in a bad way at all. I totally get the new mom jitters, believe me.
  4. HI Tortoise Rescue

HI Tortoise Rescue Active Member 5 Year Member

Oahu, Hawaii
    I don't see any pyramiding to speak of, but soaking is something most Sulcatas enjoy.

Ken
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    It sounds like your well-intentioned neighbor kept the tortoise in pretty dry conditions. The scutes are starting to raise a bit, but hopefully now he's back in your care you can arrest it.
  6. Speedy-1

Speedy-1 Well-Known Member

St. David Arizona
    You would be worrying needlessly , I have always liked a little deeper water when I soak ! As you can see pouring water over my Speedy's head doesn't drown him , in fact he really enjoy's it ! He soaked like this for an hour daily til he was 2 years old and hasn't drowned yet ! ;)

100_8041.jpg
    Maro2Bear and Mortis_thetortoise like this.
  7. Gillian M

Gillian M Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Jordan
    I agree with what @wellington and @Yvonne G said. More soaks so as to stop the pyramiding where it is, but nothing serious to worry about.

And please keep us updated.
  8. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    Yep, our sully loves his deep water soaks and loves to dip his head down under the water during soaks. We soaked ours daily for two years as well.
    Gillian M and Speedy-1 like this.
  9. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    How is she?
  10. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    Just wanted to add, that once they hit the 30 lb level....it's a bit more of a task to soak here on the East Coast. Takes up our entire kitchen sink with no room to swim, or....makes a big mess in our standard human tub! Either way or location, sully still gets her soakings, just not daily now.
    Speedy-1 likes this.
  11. Speedy-1

Speedy-1 Well-Known Member

St. David Arizona
    I just bought a bigger tub for Speedy , I shoot for twice a week this time of year ! I usually make it .