Tortoise smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casseylane

5 Year Member
My boyfriend is starting to notice a smell from our tortoise table. I can sometimes smell it too- but I feel it is an earthy smell. I clean it out daily of debris, change the substrate every month or so. Anyone have any similar complaints from loved ones?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure the boyfriend isn't just blaming the torts, you know, how everyone blames the dog:D Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go.
Seriously, It may be the pee from the torts and then the heat? You may need to change the substrate more often. However, I only change mine, once maybe twice a year. I use coconut coir. Maybe try stirring it up every day or so, so that the top is getting mixed into the bottom and vice versa. See if that helps.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
I can't say I can smell the tortoise enclosure when I walk in the room but if I do hover over his habitat I do smell a very earthy/dirt scent.

I believe it is more from the substrate than anything else.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I have 2, 6 month old Greeks and a 4 year old Russian,and when they were indoors i did notice a stronger smell coming from the Russian's table,but it wasn't a really bad smell just a tortoisey kind of smell

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio is just about full grown now and as soon as she poops I run over and take it out of her viv. If I don't it smells like a zoo in there. And yes, my family has mentioned it....quite often. Especially if she eats Mazuri.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
terryo said:
Pio is just about full grown now and as soon as she poops I run over and take it out of her viv. If I don't it smells like a zoo in there. And yes, my family has mentioned it....quite often. Especially if she eats Mazuri.

Ditto! 'Zoo' is a great way to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.