Tortoise Table Ant Solution Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
So, I built my tortoise table and after one rain and around 4 days, I already had fire ants wandering around the perimeter... So I took the torts out and dug up all the substrate to find a highway of ants getting comfortable in their bedding. For all who don't know, fire ants in Texas are an ever present curse.

Then, I spoke with some friends, and I came up with an idea. I put a thick, constant band of Vasoline around the base of each of the four legs on the table. I was told that the ants would find it impossible to cross the barrier, and that it would hold up against most rain/heat as well as be safe for torts (even though they should never be in contact with that part of the table in the first place).

I am letting the top dry out from the rain and to assure all ants are gone, then I am going to replace fresh substrate and put the torts back to see how it goes. I will post pics of new home as well as the Vasoline experiment and let all know how it goes.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
So here is the finished table...

a4a2a2ff.jpg

Here are the Vasoline covered legs...

d85cec83.jpg

c23ce3cd.jpg

And here are the (hopefully) safe and ant free tortoises...

6eb268af.jpg

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
Thanks. The key to the design I went for is that the base and the actual tabletop are independent, so I can lift the tabletop out of the legs section to clean, etc.. And the legs can be left in place. I also installed handles on both sides of the tabletop for ease of movement.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
UPDATE: Well, it seems that the Vasoline has a partial success rate, as it did seem to catch some ants, however it seems to have absorbed slightly into the wood, therefore becoming less liquid and more solid, and also becoming more easily traversable for later ants.

So, back to the drawing board, I made and put out 6 Boric Acid traps, as well as lining the bases of the legs with baby powder, as this will also kill ants by suffocating them. The Boric Acid traps are set outside the enclosure and beyond the baby powder barriers, so we are hoping to be ant free or greatly reduced in 48 hours. The traps are already crawling with ants, so I think the effects should be substantial. I also think this will draw the few ants in the enclosure back out which is great. I will update wi pictures and details as the situation progresses.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
ThatDamnSasquatch said:
UPDATE: Well, it seems that the Vasoline has a partial success rate, as it did seem to catch some ants, however it seems to have absorbed slightly into the wood, therefore becoming less liquid and more solid, and also becoming more easily traversable for later ants.

So, back to the drawing board, I made and put out 6 Boric Acid traps, as well as lining the bases of the legs with baby powder, as this will also kill ants by suffocating them. The Boric Acid traps are set outside the enclosure and beyond the baby powder barriers, so we are hoping to be ant free or greatly reduced in 48 hours. The traps are already crawling with ants, so I think the effects should be substantial. I also think this will draw the few ants in the enclosure back out which is great. I will update wi pictures and details as the situation progresses.

That's great news. Keep us updated. I have yard ants all over the place and I'm trying to find a way to get rid of them myself. Good luck!

Mich

5 Year Member
Borax works great!!!!!!! There are lots of “DIY” ant traps online, if you search for one with borax you’ll find one where you dissolve broax and sugar in boiling water. You then just dip a wad of paper towel into the water mix and then put it out in a little dish where you’ve seen ants. Within a day or tow the container will be covered in ants tearing off pieces to take back to the nest. We use to have TON of ants and after trying every commercial product available we tried this and within a week there were NONE. Super cheap solution and the borax contains the same chemicals used by exterminator companies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Essential oils also work as a deterrent. You could mix a small amount of peppermint oil into a spray bottle of water and spray the legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.