Tortoise Table construction

nyxielynn

Location (City and/or State)
Rochester, NY
Is there a certain type of wood that is best to use for tort tables, or certain types to avoid? Also, I've been getting mixed reviews while browsing on what can be used to weatherproof the wood to prevent mold and rot? I have not built one before so this is a new experience for me. I am open to any tips and advice. :). It will be 2'x3' to start for a hatchling. I'm not aire how big to make the hideaway, will 9"x24" suffice?

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
If you use a pond liner, shower curtain or painter's plastic sheet, the type of wood won't matter and an added plus is you don't have to wait for the paint fumes to dissipate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For what species of tortoise? Your size is really way too small for even a hatchling, with all that needs to be in there with them and to get a good temp regulations. Most would do better when not in a table, tables are hold to keep humidity up.

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
For what species of tortoise? Your size is really way too small for even a hatchling, with all that needs to be in there with them and to get a good temp regulations. Most would do better when not in a table, tables are hold to keep humidity up.
For hermann's. I am following the care sheet provided by @HermanniChris. I am still debating between a table or a Rubbermaid container, since he said either will work but I have small children and don't want to risk then getting to the torts in the Rubbermaid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is the one to listen to for Hermanns. a tote will be cheaper and they are easy to add to, I connected two together using a plastic cup with the bottom cut out for a tunnel between the two. They also have the tops to help with humidity and to hold the lights and heat, not right on the plastic, but can sit on tin foil without melting he plastic. However, if you can build things, which isn't really that hard, you could add onto the table too. I would still go bigger, you will need to eventually anyway.