Tortoise terrain from pets at home

amberjane1006

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
south wales
Hey guys

I recently run out of my normal calci sand that my Indian star has been on, so I went to pets at home and picked up tortoise terrain, when I feed phoebe sometimes she eats some of the calci sand where she has dragged her food and she hasn't had any problems but I was wondering if she eats any if this whether it will be toxic to her?? Any info would be great. Here's a pic of the product.ImageUploadedByTortForum1386142595.612386.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386142635.294152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
IMO the calci sand is not good..... sand in general is no good because when engulfed or eaten can cause compaction.... i have no idea what calci sand exactly is but if it is sand then it's not recommended.... this one you have is ok as it is formulated for tortoise and has a mix of dirt/top soil and sand.... which is acceptable.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use either of those. Sand in any quantity or type is a big impaction risk and should not be used. Sand substrates have killed uncountable numbers of reptiles. Your tortoise may even be carrying around a substantial amount right now. Over time a high fiber diet should help pass any sand that has accumulated in your tortoise's gut, just don't let her eat any more.

I would use coco coir or orchid bark.

Also you can get a terra cotta plant saucer very cheaply, and use that as a food dish to keep the food out of the substrate.

amberjane1006

5 Year Member
south wales
My mother in law has had her 4 year old Indian start on sand ever since she had him from a hatchling and has had no problems, I have got a dish but it's not big tho I always put the food on kitchen towel to keep it off the sand

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
amberjane1006 said:
My mother in law has had her 4 year old Indian start on sand ever since she had him from a hatchling and has had no problems...

If we did and experiment and put 100 tortoises on sand, some percentage would be fine. Another percentage would get somewhat impacted, but pass it. Another percentage would get impacted and die. Over time, I suspect that most of them would experience a problem. Do you know how to predict which ones will die and which ones will be fine? I don't, so I don't use sand.

My job, and my wife's job too, puts me in contact with a lot of vets. Many of them are good friends. They all know of my "tortoise affliction" and they share their tortoise stories with me. I have seen dozens of sand impacted tortoise X-rays over the years. Just do an Internet search and you can see a bunch of them too. Even better find a vet near you that treats tortoises and other exotics and ask them about this. They will probably have their own collection of sand impaction X-rays to show you.

If you wish to continue using sandy substrates, I sincerely wish you good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Toms post. Why would you want to take the chance with yours. The other substrates are better, safer, and you aren't taking a chance with the tortoises life. Besides, there old ways of doing things have been found to not be very good ways. Did you know that tortoises are not suppose to be bumpy? Well, the old way causes them to be bumpy, the new ways, like what you will find here, on this forum, will show you how to raises tortoises to be smooth. The substrates we recommend will not make your tortoise sick or die. The soakings and having water available 24/7 that we recommend will keep your tortoise healthy and smooth also.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
hey there! i agree with the previous advice. much of what i thought was correct has been proven wrong on here and I'm thankful for that....and i bet my tortoise is too. everyone here just wants what's best for your pet :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Tortoise terrain from pets at home

amberjane1006 said:
My mother in law has had her 4 year old Indian start on sand ever since she had him from a hatchling and has had no problems, I have got a dish but it's not big tho I always put the food on kitchen towel to keep it off the sand

Let's hope her luck doesn't run out. With safer alternatives why take a risk you don't need to.