Tortoise with disturbed sleep

Briony Wright

I have two hermanns, one is two and one is three. The two year old sleeps normally but the three year old acts very strangely when going to sleep/when sleeping. She scratches, twitches and gets worked up enough that if we get her out she will run around frantically. I just wanted to see if any one else has the same problem or has any advice because its not very nice to see her being so uncomfortable, please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises will usually try to rearrange their 'burrow' when they turn in for the night. This involves a lot of digging and scratching. Just leave him alone and he'll settle down when he's got it where he wants it. You DO have a hiding place for them, right?

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Briony Wright

Thank you! Yes I've bought large tunnel to fit them both in comfortably and she does go in there sometimes. I think I'm just an overprotective owner!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
Maybe she's like me and just doesn't like sharing her bed with people..LOL! Seriously, anytime I go on vacay, I am certain to have my own bed... Not that it bothers me, but apparently, I am an active sleeper and have other strange sleeping habits!!

Briony Wright

I have odd sleeping habits too haha! She is a very energetic tortoise at all times so I don't think this helps her at all