Tortoises diet

Precious

Location (City and/or State)
Paris tx
Thank also, which is better iceberg or Roman we just him and still learning on what is best for him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank also, which is better iceberg or Roman we just him and still learning on what is best for him
Brussel sprouts and lettuce are not great tortoise foods. They can eat those things, and those items are not toxic, but those times don't meet your tortoises nutritional needs. What species have you got? We can offer some good suggestion once we know that.

Precious

Paris tx
We have a Hermann's Tortoise
Brussel sprouts and lettuce are not great tortoise foods. They can eat those things, and those items are not toxic, but those times don't meet your tortoises nutritional needs. What species have you got? We can offer some good suggestion once we know that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a Hermann's Tortoise
Nice!

I typed this thread up for sulcatas, but hermanni aren't grass eaters, so skip the text and just scroll down to the food list. Its got all sorts of suggestions for good tortoise foods.

Precious

Paris tx
Thank you so much
Nice!

I typed this thread up for sulcatas, but hermanni aren't grass eaters, so skip the text and just scroll down to the food list. Its got all sorts of suggestions for good tortoise foods.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You can have tortoises thrive on grocery greens, sometimes it is all that you might have access to. It's more than picking a single type of lettuce and tossing some leaves in the enclosure for it to work.

Most zoos do not go out picking weeds and such, some do, some even have browse farms. Two zoos I worked at fed a majority of grocery greens.

here is a presentation I gave regarding this, along with other diet considerations.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Will, the presentation is very informative and quite fascinating. Thank you for sharing the link.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Wouldn’t say lettuce is Bad right? I think it’s actully very beneficial and tortoises Love it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wouldn’t say lettuce is Bad right? I think it’s actully very beneficial and tortoises Love it.
Define "bad".

Define "beneficial". I don't think lettuce is beneficial. One could argue that it is high in water, which is beneficial, but water is also high in water, and water doesn't meet all their nutritional needs either. Lettuce can be beneficial if used as a delivery agent for other things that do deliver the needed nutrients, fiber, and variety, but on its own, no, I don't think it is beneficial, and I do think it is bad.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hagen Daas Dulce De Leche ice cream. It is sooooooo "good" in my opinion. Is it "bad"? This depends doesn't it? The ice cream doesn't meet my nutritional needs, but I like it. If I eat too much of it, to the exclusion of the foods that I should be eating instead, I could eventually get sick and die from it in an extreme case. Ice cream isn't toxic, but too much of it, while skipping the correct foods, will lead to malnutrition and eventually death.

Same with lettuce for tortoises. Its like the ice cream. It is lacking the fiber they need, is low in calcium, has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio, and doesn't carry the nutrients they need. A tortoise fed nothing but lettuce will eventually die. You might counter with something along the lines of: "I don't feed 'only' lettuce, and I feed other things along with it." To which I would answer: What percentage of the correct foods are you replacing with the "junk" food? Why not just feed the correct foods in the first place?

To recap:
1. Yes, I think lettuce is bad.
2. No, I don't think it is beneficial, unless we are adding amendments to it.
3. Whether or not tortoises "love" it is irrelevant.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Define "bad".

Define "beneficial". I don't think lettuce is beneficial. One could argue that it is high in water, which is beneficial, but water is also high in water, and water doesn't meet all their nutritional needs either. Lettuce can be beneficial if used as a delivery agent for other things that do deliver the needed nutrients, fiber, and variety, but on its own, no, I don't think it is beneficial, and I do think it is bad.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hagen Daas Dulce De Leche ice cream. It is sooooooo "good" in my opinion. Is it "bad"? This depends doesn't it? The ice cream doesn't meet my nutritional needs, but I like it. If I eat too much of it, to the exclusion of the foods that I should be eating instead, I could eventually get sick and die from it in an extreme case. Ice cream isn't toxic, but too much of it, while skipping the correct foods, will lead to malnutrition and eventually death.

Same with lettuce for tortoises. Its like the ice cream. It is lacking the fiber they need, is low in calcium, has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio, and doesn't carry the nutrients they need. A tortoise fed nothing but lettuce will eventually die. You might counter with something along the lines of: "I don't feed 'only' lettuce, and I feed other things along with it." To which I would answer: What percentage of the correct foods are you replacing with the "junk" food? Why not just feed the correct foods in the first place?

To recap:
1. Yes, I think lettuce is bad.
2. No, I don't think it is beneficial, unless we are adding amendments to it.
3. Whether or not tortoises "love" it is irrelevant.
I agree, BUT obviously you shouldn’t give lettuce as a staple... but I get your point.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree, BUT obviously you shouldn’t give lettuce as a staple... but I get your point.
Yvonne made a good point years ago about this: People of all different skill and experience levels read these threads. Someone with a lot of experience obviously knows that lettuce shouldn't be a staple.

However, a person new to the hobby might read the sentence: "Wouldn’t say lettuce is Bad right? I think it’s actully very beneficial and tortoises Love it.", and conclude that lettuce is an okay food source for their new baby. If they do too much too often... well... you know.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Again
Yvonne made a good point years ago about this: People of all different skill and experience levels read these threads. Someone with a lot of experience obviously knows that lettuce shouldn't be a staple.

However, a person new to the hobby might read the sentence: "Wouldn’t say lettuce is Bad right? I think it’s actully very beneficial and tortoises Love it.", and conclude that lettuce is an okay food source for their new baby. If they do too much too often... well... you know.
we’ll just cause something is “beneficial” in some way doesn’t mean you should take it as a way to feed it every day I feed lettuce 2-3 time a week (green leaf) put yes I apologize. Also what’s your view on Grocery foods? If you mind responding

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You can have tortoises thrive on grocery greens, sometimes it is all that you might have access to. It's more than picking a single type of lettuce and tossing some leaves in the enclosure for it to work.

Most zoos do not go out picking weeds and such, some do, some even have browse farms. Two zoos I worked at fed a majority of grocery greens.

here is a presentation I gave regarding this, along with other diet considerations.
Wow, you did those... incredible so much information regarding your tortoises Diet. Do you have any more likes he way you care for them? Treat their injuries, ect. If you do do you mind putting them out here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Again

we’ll just cause something is “beneficial” in some way doesn’t mean you should take it as a way to feed it every day I feed lettuce 2-3 time a week (green leaf) put yes I apologize. Also what’s your view on Grocery foods? If you mind responding
As I said, you may understand these concepts, but not everyone giving this thread a cursory read will.

In my opinion, grocery store foods should be avoided, unless there is no other choice. In the cases where grocery store foods must be used, they need to be amended to make up for the shortcomings we mentioned before. Will's dried products are an excellent way to do this, and I use and love his products myself. Just used some of Will's dried echinacea today. ZooMed Grassland tortoise pellets are another way to amend them. Mazuri can help too.

Here is my view on how they should be fed: