Tortoises dig in, in the garden for Winter. Can I safely transfer them to shed?

Lefeuvre76

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have two Greek tortoises which are very old. We have had them for 36 years but the vet says they are at least double that. They usually go into hibernation around now in boxes into the shed but have dug themselves very deep in the garden. They have done this before and surfaced in March but never during a really cold winter. I am worried we might get another Beast From The East which could kill them buried in the garden.

They have been buried for two weeks now. Am I able to safely dig them up and transfer them to a box in the shed (the usual way we hibernate them) or is it unwise to wake them up. Just worried they won't survive otherwise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have two Greek tortoises which are very old. We have had them for 36 years but the vet says they are at least double that. They usually go into hibernation around now in boxes into the shed but have dug themselves very deep in the garden. They have done this before and surfaced in March but never during a really cold winter. I am worried we might get another Beast From The East which could kill them buried in the garden.

They have been buried for two weeks now. Am I able to safely dig them up and transfer them to a box in the shed (the usual way we hibernate them) or is it unwise to wake them up. Just worried they won't survive otherwise.
You won't do any harm digging them up and dusting them down. Handling a hibernating Greek is a bit like handling a house brick. No response.

What you MUST be careful of is not warming them up at all. Do everything outside. Have the hibernation box outside and chilled. Brush the worst of the dirt off and dry them with a towel and then pack each of them in a box. Put that box in a bigger box filled with straw to keep the temperatures as stable as possible.

Hibernation occurs when temperatures are less than 10C, ideally stable around 5C so you will need a shed or garage that doesn't get too much winter sun.

I live in Kent and gave up with box hibernation as I couldn't guarantee continuously low temperatures through the winter. A couple of years ago it was nearly 20C mid-December! I fridge hibernated Joe.

A friend of mine in a neighbouring village has a Greek that has hibernated in their compost heap without coming to harm for decades. I was never that brave

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Joe'sMum. As long as temps in the shed consistently stay between about 4-9C, the shed should be fine. If it starts dropping below 2 or 3, or climbing above 10, you might have a problem.

Lefeuvre76

London
Thank you so much. I've had Hercules and Horace since I was five so I don't want to take any chances! I'll buy a thermometer as well to put in the shed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you so much. I've had Hercules and Horace since I was five so I don't want to take any chances! I'll buy a thermometer as well to put in the shed.

I had a wireless indoor outdoor thermometer with a min/max function when box hibernating bought cheaply from Amazon.

The outdoor bit went in the box with Joe, the indoor bit in the garage. It meant I could easily see what was happening