Tortoises don't have much variety

emma.17

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
Hi! I have 2 Russian Tortoises and they were given to my parents almost 20 years ago. The guy that gave them away was feeding just kale and kept them in a plastic storage bin. I got a bearded dragon last year and this encouraged me to do more research on the tortoises! I discovered that kale and a plastic bin with a light was not nearly enough! We got them a tank and I have been feeding them more. I just don't really know how to feed them. How often and how much and when to feed certain foods. Could someone guide me with like a meal plan? Right now I feed them once a week because that's they're used to. I give them kale, collard greens, bell peppers, cilantro, apple, banana, strawberry, and raspberry.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi Emma,

Welcome to TFO!

Here's a great general link to keeping Russians: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

I feed my Russians everyday, but don't worry about missing a day or three once in a while.

They should eat greens of various sorts, and not fruits, as their digestive systems aren't designed to manage the sugars well at all... I also supplement with a small quantity of Mazuri (or another kibble) 1-2 times a week.

Jamie

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First they can not be kept together. One will bully the other and/or try to breed the other too illness or death
Also each one needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
Fruit should not be fed ever.
They need to be fed every day, enough so they can graze throughout the day.
Broad leafy greens/weeds. For now that it's winter, try ridicchio, mustard greens, endive, arugula, cactus pads, spring mix minus the spinach.
Also mazuri tortoise pellets.
Feed as many different varieties you can find. You should feed in the morning and enough it can last all day.
Use 2 or 3 different items at a time and change them up every 2 or 3 days

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi! I have 2 Russian Tortoises and they were given to my parents almost 20 years ago. The guy that gave them away was feeding just kale and kept them in a plastic storage bin. I got a bearded dragon last year and this encouraged me to do more research on the tortoises! I discovered that kale and a plastic bin with a light was not nearly enough! We got them a tank and I have been feeding them more. I just don't really know how to feed them. How often and how much and when to feed certain foods. Could someone guide me with like a meal plan? Right now I feed them once a week because that's they're used to. I give them kale, collard greens, bell peppers, cilantro, apple, banana, strawberry, and raspberry.

Russians definitely should not be getting fruit.

This is also a good article to read, even if you have had them a while: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Good advice from everyone so far. Please read those linked threads for the correct care and diet info.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Thanks for giving these torts a much needed better life.
The threads linked will help you with everything but ask as many questions as you like.
If you post a picture of the enclosure, members can help you make sure the torts have everything they need.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. Another leafy grocery store green I recommend is escarole. It's high in fiber as an addition. Also, I feed my little Russian daily with a handful about as big as he is. If he eats all of that I give him more just in case he's hungry. It's different in captivity. You can give them the best life. If they are living in the wild they MIGHT be able to eat when they are hungry. 🤗

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Are you saying they survived being fed only kale once per week for 20 years? That is remarkable resilience but they were definitely not thriving!