Torts And Heat Waves.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
He just didn't want to on this occasion, tomorrow he may love it, or not.
That's tortoises!
Evening, Gillian.
That......MOODY? If there is a type I do NOT like to deal with as far as humans are concerned, it's the.....MOODY person. I am willing to deal with the hot tempered, the cold people, the diplomatic and obviously the 'MILITARY,' the harsh ones (in MY OWN WAY-hmmmhmm) and others. BUT when it comes to the MOODY ones, trouble begins. So, based one the above HOW am I to deal with a NAUGHTY and now a MOODY OLI?!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone.

Yet another heat wave here, with temperature reaching 50 degrees Celcius in Amman!

I have been soaking Oli constantly, but he has not been eating much. My question is: do tortoises lose appetite when it is EXTREMELY HOT? I do know they do when it's cold. But does this also apply in Summer?

Your help and advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi everyone.

Yet another heat wave here, with temperature reaching 50 degrees Celcius in Amman!

I have been soaking Oli constantly, but he has not been eating much. My question is: do tortoises lose appetite when it is EXTREMELY HOT? I do know they do when it's cold. But does this also apply in Summer?

Your help and advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Wow, 50C; I can't imagine. What is the temperature like indoors where you and Oli live? I don't think my air conditioning would be much of a match for that kind of heat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wow, 50C; I can't imagine. What is the temperature like indoors where you and Oli live? I don't think my air conditioning would be much of a match for that kind of heat.
Thanks your reply.

Incredibly HOT! I live in Jordan, in the Middle East, where it's FREEZING COLD in Winter and BOILING HOT in Summer, with no Spring and Autumn. Desert climate which is a real pain in the neck. It is also VERY DRY weather which makes me worry about pyramiding.

As for room temperature, well, with only the FAN on, it is 33 degrees Celcius! However with the A/C, one can control it. Know what I mean?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Would someone please be KIND enough to answer my question:

Do torts lose appetite in VERY HOT weather?

Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Would someone please be KIND enough to answer my question:

Do torts lose appetite in VERY HOT weather?

Thank you.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I wonder how much of what you're seeing with your tort is aestivation (which some tortoises do experience) or something different. If you're able to control the indoor/tortoise climate as well as you do, your tortoise might not be affected by the heat outside, but to the changes you're making inside.

I assume the air is drier indoors because of the use of air conditioning? Could the drier air be affecting behaviour? I think I've read that you're compensating for the heat wave by giving more frequent baths? Could your tortoise perhaps be a little stressed from the increased handling or just change in routine?

What about your walks outside - are you still having them in this weather? If not, the change in routine, lack of exposure to natural sunlight and fresh air could also explain part of the 'mood' changes you're seeing.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I wonder how much of what you're seeing with your tort is aestivation (which some tortoises do experience) or something different. If you're able to control the indoor/tortoise climate as well as you do, your tortoise might not be affected by the heat outside, but to the changes you're making inside.

I assume the air is drier indoors because of the use of air conditioning? Could the drier air be affecting behaviour? I think I've read that you're compensating for the heat wave by giving more frequent baths? Could your tortoise perhaps be a little stressed from the increased handling or just change in routine?

What about your walks outside - are you still having them in this weather? If not, the change in routine, lack of exposure to natural sunlight and fresh air could also explain part of the 'mood' changes you're seeing.
Thanks VERY MUCH your reply as well as your help both of which I appreciate.

Oh, yes, the change(s) I was obliged to make might have annoyed poor Oli, let alone my picking him up, soaking him VERY MANY TIMES each and every day, drying him, putting him back into his enclosure, and the rest, during this HEAT WAVE.

The weather is DRY both inside and outside. However, it's obviously cooler-MUCH COOLER- inside with the A/C on. Could the A/C be annoying Oli? I wonder.

As for the 'walks' I take Oli out just before sunset.He seems to enjoy it and plays around, roams around as if a different tort. Somewhat 'funny' is it not? I cannot RISK going out in that STRIKING SUN. You are right: Oli is not being exposed to natural sunlight, but what can I do in such weather?

Thank you very much your help, once again.