Soaks In Summer

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Temperture in Amman (Jordan) reached 37 degrees Celcius today. What I am wondering is: when the weather is that hot, does the water in which one soaks one's tort still have to be luke-warm? Would a tort 'like' temperature of water that is running from a tap? That is rather cold even during Summer, so I always have to heat it a little and if it gets too hot I mix it. I did so today, despite the VERY, VERY HOT weather.

I'd indeed appreciate an answer to the above, asap: the heat wave is to go on.

Thank you all.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I don't know how cold your tap is, but when I run my sprinkler the water feels chilled to me, but the come out and soak in the puddles. When it rains here the rain cools down the ground and seems cool to the touch

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak mine in the same warm water year round. Outside temp doesn't matter. On my older, bigger tortoises I just use cool well water, but let it warm in the sun before I put them in. Ambient temp gets up to 43 C here in the summer.

Unless the tortoise is overheating, there is no need for cool water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't know how cold your tap is, but when I run my sprinkler the water feels chilled to me, but the come out and soak in the puddles. When it rains here the rain cools down the ground and seems cool to the touch
Thanks very much your answer, which I very much appreciate.

The tap water is not 'freezing' but let's say rather cold. I'm afraid I don't know its temperature, so to remain on the safe side I heat it a little for my beloved tort, when I soak it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I keep a full pitcher inside my heated enclosure, everyday that's what I use for the soak and refill it for the next day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Temperture in Amman (Jordan) reached 37 degrees Celcius today. What I am wondering is: when the weather is that hot, does the water in which one soaks one's tort still have to be luke-warm? Would a tort 'like' temperature of water that is running from a tap? That is rather cold even during Summer, so I always have to heat it a little and if it gets too hot I mix it. I did so today, despite the VERY, VERY HOT weather.

I'd indeed appreciate an answer to the above, asap: the heat wave is to go on.

Thank you all.
I am in need of advice/answers to the above issue AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Thank you all.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Does that mean that the water is warm?

Appreciate an answer. Thank you.
yes it's warm, I use it for the bath if my tort has been outside or inside. I've never used cold water on my torts.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Its just the same as the water dish in the enclosure. They drink and bath in it too. It eliminates having to run water every day and getting it to the perfect temp.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just seen this, Gillian.
Never too cold water, but cool is fine.
Just ambient temperature, they don't mind warm water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in need of advice/answers to the above issue AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Thank you all.

Twice now I have answered your urgent threads and you come on behind me demanding attention. Do you have me on ignore? Do you not see my responses? Have I somehow offended you?

Perhaps someone who is not on ignore could pass this question on to Gillian.