Walking Oli After Sunset.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi. As some of you know, whenever the weather permits I take Oli out for so-called "walks"-that is of course if it's not too hot/cold. Nowadays it is extremely hot with temperatures reaching 36-40 degrees Celcius; during the day, with that striking and dangerous sun.

I am thinking of taking Oli :<3: for walks after sunset, when temperature drops to about 22 degrees Celcius. ;) My question is: would he enjoy it? is it right to take a tort for a "walk" at night?

Your help and advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no experience with waking a tortoise. However, I wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as he's not settled in for the night. My one leopard likes doing a lot of his roaming when the sun is going down and it's not so hot. Usually during the hottest part of the day they would not be walking around, but seeking cooler places anyway.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree, try it. If he is active and awake, no harm. He is not going to get UVB after sunset, but fresh air, exercise and fresh food.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have no experience with waking a tortoise. However, I wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as he's not settled in for the night. My one leopard likes doing a lot of his roaming when the sun is going down and it's not so hot. Usually during the hottest part of the day they would not be walking around, but seeking cooler places anyway.
Thanks your reply. ;)

That's the case with Oli: it gets so HOT here that he becomes restless. :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I agree, try it. If he is active and awake, no harm. He is not going to get UVB after sunset, but fresh air, exercise and fresh food.
Thanks a lot your help @Jodie. :)

Am going to give it a try: we're stuck at home literally all day long, and I for one am convinced that torts do get bored even though they are not social animals.:rolleyes: Know what I mean?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My tortoises are most active before and after the hottest parts of the day.
So it sounds like a good idea.
Thanks Ed. :) I have noticed that Oli is very happy when we are outside.:<3: He "runs" around in such a manner, I would stay outside with him hours on end. :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Mine hide all day, then when I go out right before dark to lock them up they're out grazing and I feel bad.
I wait a few minutes and put them away.

Kori5

I'm sure he's gonna enjoy it :). Why not if he's not sleeping?