Total neglect

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
I have had brought in to me today a Greek yearling, he is in such a bad way I'm not sure if he will make it,

I don't actually know where to start with what's wrong with him, so I'll start with what's right,

He's got 4 legs, a tail, head and eyes.

This little guy ( say guy for now) is over a year old and he is about 4 cm long he weighs 41 grams, his caparace is the shape of half an egg, the wider part being the nuchal and the thinnest part being the Supracaudal, pyramiding, the softest shell I have ever seen, it is just like squeezing a sponge, his plastron is concave but from head to tail,
He isn't eating and he's been without UVA/B and calcium for the past 8 months.

I am at the moment soaking with baby food,calcium and vits, along with lots of UVA/B,

I will get pics loaded up ASAP.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Glad to know he is in capable and helpful hands. I know he will improve in your care. At least he is 100x better off than he was before you got him. :)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
He will make it, he's a fighter!
He survived 8 months of total neglect!

Grah, it makes me angry that people seem to be too stupid (sorry >:/) to realize that reptiles need warmth and sun.

Mina

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yvonne, did they turn the little guy over to you? Or are you treating it for them?
You are a vet right? Do you see alot of exotics?
Nay

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Good Luck with the tortoise I hope he can make it.
Still lots of ill informed owners out there sadly

Louise

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Sad story that we hear all the time:( I hope you can pull him through.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Nay said:
Yvonne, did they turn the little guy over to you? Or are you treating it for them?
You are a vet right? Do you see alot of exotics?
Nay

No I am not a vet, but I am the next nearest thing, I work at a vets/ petshop and all the reptile cases are sent to me, another vet clinic actually sent me a customer with a iguana, it wasn't eating or moving, the problem was his environment was to dry and he had a build up of shedding over his face, soaking for an hour didn't even get close to moving it, so I sedated him and started to pull it of,his scales will never be the same but he is much happier now, he is on antibiotic cream where I have took dead skin of and he is being hand fed.

The vets that I work with are domestics, so they always call me for reptiles.

It just gets me so angry, people wouldn't dream of giving their very young babies a McDonalds, so why do they just think that " oh it just needs food and water"
And do you know the what the worst thing is? The so called customer works with me, I laid into her a bit too much, just because I couldn't believe that she didn't just ring me and ask...so so so embarrassing, if people that work with animals can't get it right then what chance has a Tory got with someone that doesn't.
:(:(:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Much mojo to the both of you...he/she, that he/she gets well under your capable and loving hands... :tort:

And you, that you don't beat some sense into some idiot and get in a bit of trouble. :cool:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Poor little thing, I hope he makes it!! At least he has a better chance at survival now that he's in your care.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
good luck with the little guy. I agree with everyone else, he is in much better hands and has now the best chance of survival. I also have a hard time with people who don't do the research, don't watch the animals in their care, and then don't understand when the animal sickens, isn't 'right' or dies. Shameful animal husbandry.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
It's too bad people don't educate themselves. And not just with pets. One problem with this world. Good luck getting him better.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
The little fella is still the same, I am still doing babyfood/calcium baths.
I can't risk opening his mouth, because if it's as soft as his shell it will just break it's jaw...

On top of all that I was given 2 Mediterranean torts today, they on the other hand are in perfect health, diet wasn't brilliant ( tomato, lettuce) and they have a slight pyramiding, but very healthy.. The owner is moving back to Russia.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
awe that sucks,and your rite it never ends,sumtimes i regret even reading certain threads but i cant seem to not look at them and it really leaves me sad that sum people are so clueless of the damage,i have freinds that speak of owning a tortoise or more when they even see mine,but honestly i wouldnt trust sum of them with my tortoise for an hour and its not like they are bad people but they jus dont get it,i get mad when sumone tries to pick mine up or even touch it after they have smoked a cigarrette,i could scream at em sometimes but it wouldnt do any good they dont get it,and i jus wanted to make a suggestion with the soaks cuz i recently started doing this.i have vita spray with electrolytes in it and sumtimes i pour a little in my baby torts warm water soaks,i use a smaller soaking container for him than my other bigger torts,i was only suggesting this cuz u said he wasnt eatn or prolly drinking im taking it also,i dont kno if it works i was jus suggesting it mainly cuz of the electrolytes,good luck yvonne ........i wish there was more rescuers(like you) than new tort owners.........and the struggle continues..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
SILVERSTAR said:
awe that sucks,and your rite it never ends,sumtimes i regret even reading certain threads but i cant seem to not look at them and it really leaves me sad that sum people are so clueless of the damage,i have freinds that speak of owning a tortoise or more when they even see mine,but honestly i wouldnt trust sum of them with my tortoise for an hour and its not like they are bad people but they jus dont get it,i get mad when sumone tries to pick mine up or even touch it after they have smoked a cigarrette,i could scream at em sometimes but it wouldnt do any good they dont get it,and i jus wanted to make a suggestion with the soaks cuz i recently started doing this.i have vita spray with electrolytes in it and sumtimes i pour a little in my baby torts warm water soaks,i use a smaller soaking container for him than my other bigger torts,i was only suggesting this cuz u said he wasnt eatn or prolly drinking im taking it also,i dont kno if it works i was jus suggesting it mainly cuz of the electrolytes,good luck yvonne ........i wish there was more rescuers(like you) than new tort owners.........and the struggle continues..

Pedialyte Clear is good, too...saved several dehydrated Bearded dragons once w/ that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.