1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
We are aware of current issues with the Tortoise Forum mobile app. We are working diligently to have the app updated to support all mobile devices again. As always, donations are greatly appreciated!

Train A Tortoise

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Dequan Jones, May 23, 2016.

1. Gillian Moore

Gillian Moore Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
  2. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

You mention wrong member lol. Oh i love hand feeding my 3 months, and i think he / she enjoy it. If it is no good for the tortoise behaviour in the future, i guess i'll pass it.

I see. I'll search it.
  3. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

4. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

Wow that RF is big!! The training give me idea :D
  5. Gillian Moore

I tried to train my tort not to entre my bedroom, however it did not work. I read that torts cannot be trained, and it seems to be true.
  6. CathyNed

CathyNed Well-Known Member

Cant say much about training myself but I joke all the time that my tort is toilet trained. Since the day I got him he routinely eats his food, turns around and poops in his dish. The only time he poops elsewhere is when he is in the bath. I must admit its handy for cleaning purposes.
    Otherwise he is not trained but has a routine. He knows when to come for food and when to go to his night box.
    Gillian Moore and mctlong like this.
  7. Mortis_thetortoise

Mortis_thetortoise Active Member

same thing can happen to dogs and even humans. once one gets too focused with one method to reach the the goal they can be blinded by other options to reach it.

have you ever tricked a dog by faking throwing a ball and watching it run to find the ball ? does that make the dog stupid? No, it means the owner never exposed them to the experience. after working with my dog its impossible to "fake him out" as he has learned to watch the ball and not your hand.

its like asking a elementary school kid to do high school math.... itll be easier to those previously exposed to the experience.

im sure when he tries to escape from his enclosure he doesn't just try one spot and give up. after a while of trying hell figure out its not working and try another option until he is tired or is hungry or decides hes stuck.
  8. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

No he just keeps trying the one spot. We've had him over 40 years. It's never changed. He goes for the most direct route and will only move if I do.
  9. Mortis_thetortoise

Mortis_thetortoise Active Member

interesting
  10. Gillian Moore

You are lucky and so is your tort.
    JoesMum likes this.
  11. Beasty_Artemis

Beasty_Artemis Active Member

Oh....wow! Cool video!!!

I have always had lots of reptiles since i was a little girl. And my red foot tortoise , Artemis, is actually really responsive to training! Oh and she is around 5 inches long, so she is still a little girl.
    She reacts and comes to her name! Then follows me around the perimeter of her table. She lets different people give her pets on the head other than just myself.
    She always starts eating or searching for food when i say "feeding time baby"!

Then sometimes, if i dont give her enough veriety in her salad, she will get butt-hurt and just keep burying herself if i take her out again. Lately she is very picky and will not eat clover....

But i recomend positive reinforcement! I would give her a treat if she walked up to me, or followed me around her kingdom. Teach them that their "human pet" is just around to give them goodies.
    Gillian Moore likes this.
  12. Gillian Moore

Interesting. Don't know whether or not you read my post as far as training a tort is concerned. I tried to train Oli not to entre my bedroom. However, not only did it not work. It was the ONE and ONLY room he wanted to entre! "Forbidden fruit is the sweetest" I thought - lol!
  13. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

And it all seems to end with YOU being trained not to hand feed. Perhaps the concept here should be changed to, "Can a human be trained with a tortoise?" And not visa-versa?
  14. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

I have a couple of fresh thoughts on intelligence and training of desert torts.

I have three males, ages guessed at about 100, 40, and 20.

Old Duncan is clearly the most intelligent and proves it in many ways. He is the only one who truly hates to be lifted from the ground. He flails wildly, and when he touches the ground again he pulls into his shell for a while. I try to avoid picking him up.

The conflict is that my wife doesn't want tortoises on the back porch, which involves an easy climb of two steps. This year we are trying to avoid putting up the usual fences. When they climb and clatter up the steps, I pick them up and move them out to the grass.

Old Duncan has stopped coming onto the porch! The last time he started to climb, he saw me coming and turned around!

The 40 year old is recovering from bladder stone surgery and does not have the energy to make the climb, yet. He is coming along well, and eats more every day.

The youngest, who has finally stopped growing, is hopeless in terms of staying off the porch. I lift him down about 4 times a day. He seems to like the ride! He's the only one who does,t enjoy climbing into the 22 inch water dish, so maybe I'll start moving him from porch to water dish.

There is no food on the porch, but it is another big space to explore.

My final thought is that their intelligence seems to be directly related to their age. Maybe they keep learning and getting smarter. The middle guy has learned a couple of tricks from Old Duncan, like pulling his body over some food and then backing off gradually to protect his share.

Opinions and other observations are welcomed and encouraged!
    Pearly likes this.
  15. WithLisa

WithLisa Well-Known Member

Or maybe try a water gun? Positive and negative reinforcement works on any kind of animal, you just have to find the right stimuli.
  16. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

I'll consider that.
  17. seanang168

seanang168 Active Member 5 Year Member

My star tortoises would bite me accidentally when I hand feed and I would cry out in pain and shook my fingers off. I did notice that whenever this happns, they took extra precautions on their next bites.
  18. Jeremiah briggs

Jeremiah briggs Member

Maybe you just don't taste that good
    Cowboy_Ken and Big Charlie like this.
  19. seanang168

seanang168 Active Member 5 Year Member

No I think they are taking precautions not to bite the hands that feed them ;)
  20. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

Love to read stories about real old torts! Your trio sounds really cool
    Kenno likes this.