Training Norris to go for walks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
You could try offering rewards at your destination... I tried training my russian tortoise to go for walks, but it didn't work out well :p he wasn't very focused! Make sure he stays away for the road, if there is one nearby.

Akikinorris

That video is what gave me the idea. I did offer food along the way and he wanted to go in gardens but walked right next to him and changed sides to keep him straight. We walked a short way to a grazing area at the bottom. Hoping he will realise where he's going and learn the routine. The neighbours loved seeing him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 87233 Took Norris and Annie for a walk today, down the road to a lovely grazing patch and back again. Anyone else walk their sulcata? Any training tops? He did well for first walk.
I take my beloved Greek tort for a walk whenever I can, particularly if the weather is encouraging, i.e when it's sunny and I can assure you it enjoys it....I live in a flat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Never tried myself.
I imagine it would be a long and slow walk :p
Hi. Yes it really is a LONG and an extremely SLOW walk. If one doesn't have enough patience then such a SWEET pet is not the right one for him/her. Give it a try.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You could try offering rewards at your destination... I tried training my russian tortoise to go for walks, but it didn't work out well :p he wasn't very focused! Make sure he stays away for the road, if there is one nearby.
I wonder why. Do you live in a flat? If so I think a tort (or any other pet for that matter) would LOVE to get out of such an "prison" as I call flats.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I wonder why. Do you live in a flat? If so I think a tort (or any other pet for that matter) would LOVE to get out of such an "prison" as I call flats.
No, I live at home, and we've got this yard with a a little bit of forest, and he has a whole big outdoor area (10x6)... so I tried to teaching him to 'follow' me on walks, but he kept getting distracted :rolleyes::D:p