Translucent area on shell (not edge)

tiftaf268

Location (City and/or State)
California
I noticed spot A on our guy last week and thought it may be a drip stain from him going under the composter, it doesn’t wash off though. Today I noticed spot B after his bath; it is this really smooth kind of translucent area (not soft). I made a vet appointment but couldn’t get him in for 2 weeks and I’m pretty new to tortoises. Any thoughts on what this might be from or is any of it normal?
IMG_0308.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed spot A on our guy last week and thought it may be a drip stain from him going under the composter, it doesn’t wash off though. Today I noticed spot B after his bath; it is this really smooth kind of translucent area (not soft). I made a vet appointment but couldn’t get him in for 2 weeks and I’m pretty new to tortoises. Any thoughts on what this might be from or is any of it normal?
View attachment 377343
B looks like abrasion from rubbing on something. A looks like heat damage or weathering from weather extremes.

We can help you figure it out with a little more info:
Where in CA are you?
How are you housing this tortoise?
Is there a heat source? What kind?
Where does the tortoise sleep at night?

tiftaf268

California
B looks like abrasion from rubbing on something. A looks like heat damage or weathering from weather extremes.

We can help you figure it out with a little more info:
Where in CA are you?
How are you housing this tortoise?
Is there a heat source? What kind?
Where does the tortoise sleep at night?
I’m in southern Cal (Simi Valley). He has a burrow outside and comes in the house as he pleases but he’s mainly an outdoor guy and sleeps outside. He is constantly climbing and trying to squeeze in and under things so I also wondered if he rubbed his shell too much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m in southern Cal (Simi Valley). He has a burrow outside and comes in the house as he pleases but he’s mainly an outdoor guy and sleeps outside. He is constantly climbing and trying to squeeze in and under things so I also wondered if he rubbed his shell too much.
Yep. Looks like their might be a rock or a tree root on the top of his burrow, or he's trying to squeeze in somewhere else.

Do you use a heat source for him inside?

Here is the current and correct care info. Lots of helpful info in these:

P.S. I'm over in Santa Clarita. I've got friends in Simi, and I went to Moorpark College.