Tricks

Pixiesez

Location (City and/or State)
Llangollen
We are due to get our Indian star on Thursday and part of my work in University this year is to teach an animal a new trick. Has anyone had any success in anything simple? Even responding to their name?

Thanks

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
We are due to get our Indian star on Thursday and part of my work in University this year is to teach an animal a new trick. Has anyone had any success in anything simple? Even responding to their name?

Thanks
Please if you succeed in teaching any trick it would be awesome if you'd share it with us. I honestly do feel they could be taught something with consistent teaching and patience. I don't know how long you have to be able to teach but i do feel they can be taught. I know one guy who has his Sulcata trained with only going to be bathroom when soaked. The tort will go to the tub and bang it if he has to poop. The tort is soaked every morning and night until it poops. Then he feeds the tort after it poops while soaking. The tort now associates pooping to get food because the tort isn't fed until it poops. The tort has not had an accident in the house in over a year and the tort lives in the house 24/7. Its a big boy too..

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you watch any of the zoo shows on Animal Planet (do you get Animal Planet in Wales?), they target train their aldabras and galops torts, and maybe sulcatas.

The tortoises are taught to follow the target, making it much easier to get them to go where the handlers want them.

We have a member here who has aldabras, and his are target trained to a red bucket. They come to it and follow it.

Target training is the first thing to learn, because it forms the basis for all the animals' training.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Yes--target training. I'm not side but if they can hear a clicker or not--tortoises have weird hearing. If not, flash a light as the conditioned reinforcer, then give the treat.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

Thanks
I taught mine to get me a beer from the fridge while doing backflips, speaking italian, japanese, and russian and he will sometimes make me a sandwich. Hope this helps.. good luck

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
I taught mine to get me a beer from the fridge while doing backflips, speaking italian, japanese, and russian and he will sometimes make me a sandwich. Hope this helps.. good luck
You are the Tortoise Whisperer :cool::tort: