Tried Collard Greens

Zeus;s Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln, NE
Both my Russian Tortoises are awake from their beration (I still think of it as hibernation); in feeding them I did the apples and lettuce along with spring mix. I heard about collard greens and gave it a try. Mozart especially was excited with the addition. They both love dandelions but with five inches of snow it isn't going to happen for awhile. Now both Mozart and Ludwig eat twice a day with the collard greens.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You don't much see collard greens in Jamaica. Mustard greens are good too and I can get that most of the time.

Zeus;s Mom

Lincoln, NE
I will be on the look out for mustard greens; in winter in Nebraska it is a challenge finding an assortment of greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both my Russian Tortoises are awake from their beration (I still think of it as hibernation); in feeding them I did the apples and lettuce along with spring mix. I heard about collard greens and gave it a try. Mozart especially was excited with the addition. They both love dandelions but with five inches of snow it isn't going to happen for awhile. Now both Mozart and Ludwig eat twice a day with the collard greens.
Russians should never be fed apple, or any other fruit. They need leafy greens, leaves, flowers and weeds. At the grocery store you should favor endive and escarole as the main staples and then mix in lots of other greens, like your collard greens, for variety. Arugula, spring mix, cilantro, turnip and mustard greens, bok choy, carrot tops, water cress, etc... I'd skip lettuce entirely. Its not a good tortoise food. If you must use lettuce, use it as a delivery device for better stuff like the Zoomed Grassland pellets, Mazuri, or some herbal hay like this: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

Zeus;s Mom

Lincoln, NE
Russians should never be fed apple, or any other fruit. They need leafy greens, leaves, flowers and weeds. At the grocery store you should favor endive and escarole as the main staples and then mix in lots of other greens, like your collard greens, for variety. Arugula, spring mix, cilantro, turnip and mustard greens, bok choy, carrot tops, water cress, etc... I'd skip lettuce entirely. Its not a good tortoise food. If you must use lettuce, use it as a delivery device for better stuff like the Zoomed Grassland pellets, Mazuri, or some herbal hay like this: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
Appreciate the advice. No idea about apples. Thanks again