Trimming tortoise beak and claws?

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey guys, I’m wondering at what point should I trim my Russian tortoises beak and claws? Do I have to trim them or just get him a calcium rock? Also, how do I trim his beak and claws?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not all tortoises need to have the beak or nails trimmed. If feeding on a piece of slate or something flat and ruff, and not chopped my food tiny and having proper terrain, they should not need trimming.
Post a pic of enclosure and tortoise beak and nails and we can help you tweak the enclosure and let you know if they need trimming now.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Most captive turtles and tortoises don't ever need trimming. But here is a rescue tortoise who needs constant trimming. She needs anesthesia for any procedure and that costs a fortune, so my suggestion is to follow Wellington's advice and your tort won't ever need trimming....Here's Mary...she just got a beak trim and is very high....but see her jaw? Badimage.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys, I’m wondering at what point should I trim my Russian tortoises beak and claws? Do I have to trim them or just get him a calcium rock? Also, how do I trim his beak and claws?
Your tortoise shouldn't need either, unless there is something wrong with the housing and feeding.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've only had to trim beaks and toenails of new rescues, and I've been lucky enough to be able to do it at home, with either heavy-duty toenail clippers or a dremel device.

I think feeding the right foods off a tile or stone, and giving them enough space to walk around and dig allows them to keep their beaks and nails in good shape once you've corrected any issues they may have acquired in their previous lives.

Jamie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The beak only gets trimmed if over hanging. If you provide fresh greens on a rough texture terracotta flower plant base thhen this will help trim. In the pics the claws are long but OK, you can see the blood, the dark part is close to the end. I agree no immediate action.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
The beak only gets trimmed if over hanging. If you provide fresh greens on a rough texture terracotta flower plant base thhen this will help trim. In the pics the claws are long but OK, you can see the blood, the dark part is close to the end. I agree no immediate action.
Ok, thank you for the reinforcement.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
I've only had to trim beaks and toenails of new rescues, and I've been lucky enough to be able to do it at home, with either heavy-duty toenail clippers or a dremel device.

I think feeding the right foods off a tile or stone, and giving them enough space to walk around and dig allows them to keep their beaks and nails in good shape once you've corrected any issues they may have acquired in their previous lives.

Jamie
Thanks for the information. My tortoise does a lot of digging so that is good.