trip to the vets

Kelsey A

hi there,
I'm new to the forum so I'm not really sure how it works, I've been using the forum ever since I got my horsefield tortoise Sherman and its been a great help but I was just wondering if any of you would be able to help me out.
In a few days time im taking Sherman to the vets as I've noticed that he's not his preppy and inquisitive self as he's spent most of his time under his heat lamp and sleeping, I've also noticed that he hasn't eaten much within the past week so I've made a vets appointment for him.
I was just wondering about what I would take him in, the vets is a 15 minute walk from my house and I wouldn't want him to get cold on the journey, I was thinking of putting in a shoe box and wrap up a hot water bottle and put it inside to keep him warm on the journey... I would appreciate if any of you could give me some suggestions,

thanks,
Kelsey A.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I would get one of those foam coolers to give a little extra protection. A hot water bottle is a good idea, just make sure the vet can reheat it for you for the trip home. Once you're outside don't open the box to check on him, you want to keep in the warm air. I would tape the bottle down so it doesn't move and pack shredded paper or something loosely around your tort so he doesn't get jostled a lot.

Good luck!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I wrap my hot water bottle in an old towel if I have to take Lola out.
If going in the car I warm it before I put the box on the floor with the heater on.
Maybe its just the time of year affecting your tort though. mine has slowed down even though his temps are he same I think it may be something to do with the quality of light.
Vets sometimes suggest they they give a vitamin shot if they are at a loss to suggest what is wrong, but do a search on this before you go because I have read somewhere in the forum that these can sometimes do more harm than good.