Trying my best to out stubborn my tort

Renee_H

Location (City and/or State)
Glendora, Ca
So for several nights in a row after bringing Leonora home she would put herself to bed in her house no issues. Now to preface this, I am trying to remove human emotions and not project my feelings onto her -BUT- She’d never been locked in her house prior to me getting her. For 25years she’s lived outside with free choice to use or not use her house and for many upon many of those shared a deep burrow with a sulcata. I’ve been putting her in her house about 730-8pm and opening the door about 730am. When I open it she climbs out faster than I can even get the ramp situated most times to the point of face planting into the grass below her. She has a favorite spot in the yard next to the waterfall under a large potted fern. If she’s not out walking around or eating she’s in that spot. Well now after I feed her she marches right to her spot and tucks herself into her shell. I usually leave her for a bit and then move her and place her in the direction of her house. She’s FAST. She very quickly changes direction heading right back to her spot. So I move her again and put her on the ramp and repeat. Try to nudge her inside and she pushes against me turns and charges back to her spot. So I’m having to hoist her fully inside and put the ramp up quickly. This is giving me weird feelings. For one I don’t want to handle her so much and just let her do her own thing. But obviously this is for her own good. Is this pretty typical? I’m working on a larger house for her on weekends but I’m still a ways off from being done. Not sure if: option 1. She doesn’t like her house (small 2’x3’) or
Option 2. She doesn’t like being locked inside? or
Option 3. She just prefers her spot? or
Option 4. I am neurotic it’s none of the above I am over thinking and just need to get used to picking her up every night and moving her and stop thinking about it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the temperature inside the house?

Any bugs in there? Crickets, ants, roaches, etc...

Some of them take to their houses in short order, and others fight you on it for months. I try to figure out why they don't want to go in, and I take steps to try and make it more comfortable, but they have to go in every night, one way or another. Many times, I've had them refuse to use the box until the weather changes. Either it gets cold and they go in for warmth, or it gets hot and they go in to escape the summer heat.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
What is the temperature inside the house?

Any bugs in there? Crickets, ants, roaches, etc...

Some of them take to their houses in short order, and others fight you on it for months. I try to figure out why they don't want to go in, and I take steps to try and make it more comfortable, but they have to go in every night, one way or another. Many times, I've had them refuse to use the box until the weather changes. Either it gets cold and they go in for warmth, or it gets hot and they go in to escape the summer heat.
We have those super teeny tiny ants but I haven’t seen many inside her box. Either way they’re in the dirt she’s snuggled into under her fern too. The box is far too small but it’s all I have right now. But she didn’t seem to mind going in there I think until she realized she was being locked in. I’ll pick up my speed on her new box this weekend. Hopefully she won’t object to it so much.