Trying to determine my Cherry heads age based on size and weight before moving him outside.

James.lamantia

Location (City and/or State)
Pompano Beach, FL
I purchased my first CH tortoise from a local reptile shop. I thought I was familiar with there requirements prior to the purchase, but this site has been absolute eye opener for me. The knowledge on this site is invaluable.

I live in South Florida and I'm planing on making an outdoor enclosure but wanted to make sure he was big enough first. I would also like to know about what age he is for my records. He is approximately 3.75-4 inches long and weight is about 220 grams. Any help on his approximate age and if you would put him outside would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
James Lamantia

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello, I'm also in south Florida (West Sunrise) and I WOULD and DO keep Redfoot that small outside. But the issue is predators. I have none here in the suburbs. A tortoise that small can be a meal for Raccoons, foxes, coyotes,or just loose dogs. Then there's the fact that children will swipe it if they are nearby.
Do you have predators around? Can you build a semi secure outdoors enclosure?
This attachment is a video of one of my enclosures. It was made a few years ago and now the plants are huge. I've removed the sides and the roof and there is just one single male living in it.
If you aren't sure about the dangers, keep him indoors with periods of supervised outdoor time until he is larger.

Last edited:

James.lamantia

Pompano Beach, FL
Thank you for your response. I live in the city so there isn't much as far as preditors, but there are raccoons occasionally, so I will have to do something to prevent them. I will start to figure out the plans and get started soon.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As for age, I'd guess your tortoise is probably 6 months old.
They don't all grow at the same rate and CH grow slower and stay smaller than a larger Northen RF

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thank you for your response. I live in the city so there isn't much as far as preditors, but there are raccoons occasionally, so I will have to do something to prevent them. I will start to figure out the plans and get started soon.
My Burmese Star tortoise has been outside almost full time since he was 4". When he was 3-4" like yours, I had him in a 10ft x 4ft enclosure with a mesh top, so I didn't have to worry about predators. He is now in a 250SqFt enclosure, no mesh top, and includes two solar power flood lights that shine throughout the enclosure if triggered by motion. I also have a Yard Sentinel Outdoor Ultrasonic Animal Repeller With Motion Sensor. You can buy these on Amazon. I don't have many racoons, but I've seen a couple. I'm in the suburbs in Broward county as well.