Trying to find a good FB group for tortoises or leopard tortoises

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
The search function for finding groups on Facebook just isn't good enough. I'd like some recommendation for a facebook group that is nice and friendly and talks about tortoises in general or leopard tortoises. If you don't want to advertise the group here, just send me a PM.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
This is the friendliest group I've come across. Facebook has teenagers:/

Hahaha. The ones on this forum are pretty cool but Facebook is full of a bunch of delinquents...lol
Does that make me a delquent as well? or a teenager?

I guess you've never found the right groups there. The ones I'm a member of are all good, but then I look carefully before I join one on a specific subject. Hence my question here.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Does that make me a delquent as well? or a teenager?

I guess you've never found the right groups there. The ones I'm a member of are all good, but then I look carefully before I join one on a specific subject. Hence my question here.
I have leopard torts and more and I've never been on fb ! But I'm here ! And have been for a few years ! Cause I think these people are great and very informed ! But you do what you feel is best and have a great day !

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I do like Facebook for some things. Aldabraman is one of the few people here who use this forum more like Facebook. So if you enjoy Aldabraman's posts, (I do!) you would enjoy the type of constant updating, thought's off the top of the head, sharing of pictures from the day's activities, that it is conducive to. Not asking for advice centered, but sharing centered.

I have not seen a Facebook group for tortoises that I enjoy, however.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't do FB, but I'm regularly asked by other members here how they should address the old, out-dated incorrect tortoise information that is constantly being promoted there. Often forcefully and by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

I've found no better source for tortoise info and conversation than this forum right here. If you do go on FB, be aware that you are likely to be told that you are doing everything all wrong and that your tortoise needs desert-like conditions. Which is what likely killed the first one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I do Facebook; and there are several tortoise groups there.( just key Tortoise in the search engine). But nothing comes even close to the expertise presented here. On FB; there is so much bad info; and husbandry demonstrated daily; that it becomes rather frustrating. And as soon as you try and present a better way (diet; enclosures; wet vs dry methods;) its not long before you are seen as a know it and all the stigmas that en tales. There are some very good people there as well; who really are trying to make a difference; and I salute their efforts. And the 2 groups I follow; give so much credit to this forum and its care sheets. You want to learn about how to provide the best for your tortoise; you are already here at the best Tortoise info the internet has to offer.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm on 7 fb tortoise groups. I find it good just to see what's going on out there. Anything I say in these groups(which is very little) is just me passing on good info I've learnt from here. My opinion is we all have to get the new up to date information out there for the good of tortoises, if the person I'm talking to doesn't like my advice it's no big deal to me, there are others listening in that take note. TBH most are open to new advice.
The thing that winds me up is people giving out wrong advice because they have a perfect looking group of wild torts, others look at these torts and think they must know what they are doing because of the perfect wild looking torts, it's very misleading to people who don't understand that there are WC, FB and CB torts.
After all that I don't know any leo FB groups. :p
There's a good bio active group that you can learn a lot from.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
OK. Time to make some explanations :)

I know that this place is the best way of getting informed, but once you get informed, if you're like me, you want to help people... even if what I know so far is mainly what I've been told, not first hand experience. FB is a place for everything, and unfortunately a lot of it is wrong. A good group will funktion a bit like a good forum but only if the admins are on top of things. Lots of people will got to FB first instead of Google. A nudge in the right direction (here) can make a huge differense.

Anyway... if it is a matter of me signing up to a bunch of closed groups to fins one that is acceptable, then so be it. FB certainly doesn't want me to find one easily.

Yvonne - great links! That is part of what I was looking for. This place is huge and my concern so far has been with making things right for a tiny leo with a bad start. Now I want to chat and look at pictures and have fun too, not just worry.