Turtle ID

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
We have a thread going on my ferret forum, about turtles. Go figure! Anyhow, one of the members has a large pond nearby with turtles in it that he photographs often. There's a new one that a friend of his has ID'd as a red ear slider without the red. I don't think that's the case. It isn't so much the lack of red marks as the shape, color and placement of his eyes that has me thinking this isn't a slider. Mud variety maybe? Anyhow, can you experts take a look and see what you think s/he is. Thanks!

DSCF3014_zpsf5f3c1d7.jpg

DSCF3013_zpsefa68a73.jpg

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
Now that I google Melanistic I can see it! Those eyes just did not look like a RES. It is a common occurrence to have this "Melanistic" trait?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Melanistic RES! I have a male-
-His eyes are very dark, maybe a side effect of the trait? I'm not really sure! You're the first on the forum I've seen to have a melantistic RES besides me!:D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How old? Do we know? We talking 10 years, 20 years. I'm not even sure what the lifespan is for the RES honestly. Just a neat fact.
60+:D
I know for a fact mrTalons is 12, the guy I got him from had had him since a wee turtle.