Turtle question… shell issue

Quinnlynn

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Hi All, I haven’t posted here before and just signed up…I have a male ornate box turtle, about 11-12 years old. This spring I noticed a shell issue and I now see it’s worse. He has spent all summer outside. My best guess is a lack of calcium or vitamin? He has been to the vet, but she did not know, either. She’s open to trying anything to get him better, but we don’t have an ideas at this time to help with the issue. I have attached a picture of his shell…

Attachments

• IMG_9114.jpeg
    IMG_9114.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like either something got to him or possibly a constant rubbing on something.
You can clean it with water and then rub some OTC antibiotic cream on it. Do this daily for at least a week or two. Continue until healed if improvement is seen. if no improvement, continue as above but switch to an OTC antifungal Cream like what is used for athletes foot.
@Yvonne G can help more.
Btw, you may want to find a different vet. They should know or at least suggest.

Quinnlynn

MN
Looks like either something got to him or possibly a constant rubbing on something.
You can clean it with water and then rub some OTC antibiotic cream on it. Do this daily for at least a week or two. Continue until healed if improvement is seen. if no improvement, continue as above but switch to an OTC antifungal Cream like what is used for athletes foot.
@Yvonne G can help more.
Btw, you may want to find a different vet. They should know or at least suggest.
@Yvonne G can help more.
Thanks for the quick reply. It was actually suggested that it could be from rubbing… and his inside enclosure is long and narrow. He chases the female a lot, so it is possible he is scraping the sides of the enclosure. I appreciate your help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Box Turtles and tortoises should never be housed in pairs. You need to seperate them or she will get sick or dead from being overly pestered by him and the stress of living as a pair. They are solitary animals and do not live together in the wild. They cross paths to breed or fight and then move on. You could do a group of one male to two or more females in an extra large enclosure.

Quinnlynn

MN
They are outside all summer, but I bring them in based on temps and for the winter. Sthe female has a lot more room outside, but he is a pest inside… thanks!!