Turtle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
I'm posting here because it seems as if nobody sees my post in the turtle section. I currently own a yellow margined chinese box turtle, aka chinese box turtle, aka chinese golden box turtle aka like six other things.

I'm thinking of getting a second one, or something else in general, but it needs to be safe to house them together. Is it okay to house two of these guys together? Or any other turtle or tort with him? His setup is very similar to the needs of a redfoot, but the personality seems completely different.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two different species should never be housed together. I don't know if boxies are the same as torts or not. It tortoises, the majority don't want a friend. If you do get them one, it's better to have three or more together. Like I said though, not real sure if it is the same for boxies, but I would assume so. Hopefully some of the boxie members will join in soon.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
The care for them is more similar to a Redfoot then a box turtle, from how I understand it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even though the care may be the same, it is not safe to put to different species together. Not just because of care requirements, but pathogens/bugs/deseases that one tort could be a carrier of, that the other tort/turt would never have come across, so would never have built up any immunities.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not that no one has seen your question, it has had 202 views. What the problem is, is that no one knows the answer.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
It's not that no one has seen your question, it has had 202 views. What the problem is, is that no one knows the answer.

Oh, I got the views confused with another forum that specializes in turtles over torts, but has less members lol. I've posted on both and am having trouble getting any information on these guys at all.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I would play it safe. If you get another critter keep it to the same type. And I would even quarantee it for atleast a month or 2 before housing together.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using TortForum mobile app

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
While we have a lot of turtle lovers here, you may actually get a better response at a more turtle-oriented forum, like the great http://www.turtleforum.com .

I posted there too! Seems like nobody knows anything about these mysterious little turtles.

Wesley

5 Year Member
Belgium
Housing a terrestrial turtle and tortoise together is a big no-no.
That's one of the big problems at Asian turtle markets as well: even if the turtles get confiscated before they end up on someone's dinner plate, chances they'll still die are very big. Ofc stress and lack of food play a huge roll in this, but also the fact that turtles and tortoises are kept together tubs.

Pathogens who might be harmless to one may be lethal to another. Furthermore, Geochelone carbonaria and Cuora flavomarginata are from different continents, so they won't have any immunity against pathogens the other species may carry.

If you really want to mix species (which I most certainly do not advise) you might have to consider other Asian semi-terrestrial species such as Cuora galbinifrons.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
Wesley said:
Housing a terrestrial turtle and tortoise together is a big no-no.
That's one of the big problems at Asian turtle markets as well: even if the turtles get confiscated before they end up on someone's dinner plate, chances they'll still die are very big. Ofc stress and lack of food play a huge roll in this, but also the fact that turtles and tortoises are kept together tubs.

Pathogens who might be harmless to one may be lethal to another. Furthermore, Geochelone carbonaria and Cuora flavomarginata are from different continents, so they won't have any immunity against pathogens the other species may carry.

If you really want to mix species (which I most certainly do not advise) you might have to consider other Asian semi-terrestrial species such as Cuora galbinifrons.

Its not that I do or don't especially, I'm just weighing my options and getting information before I commit to any new turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.