Turtle shell health question

Krisreaz

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I've had this old boy for about 20 years now. I noticed a white spot on his shell about a month ago but last week I left and when I came back I noticed this redness around it. I am really worried because he's been chill, happy, and healthy for all of his life. Just fed him and let him do his thing. Is this the start of shell rot? I can go and get medicine at anytime I just want to make sure to get the right one. I've googled around and most shell rot pictures look very severe or different than this. Sorry in advance if this was answered before. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2843.JPEG
    IMG_2843.JPEG
    423.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2844.JPEG
    IMG_2844.JPEG
    415.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2845.JPEG
    IMG_2845.JPEG
    464.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2846.JPEG
    IMG_2846.JPEG
    481.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2847.JPEG
    IMG_2847.JPEG
    522 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2848.JPEG
    IMG_2848.JPEG
    405.4 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does he live alone?
Inside or outside?
Looks like he's in an aquarium? Unless custom made, an aquarium is way too small. He seems very small for 20+ years old.
@Markw84

Krisreaz

New York
Does he live alone?
Inside or outside?
Looks like he's in an aquarium? Unless custom made, an aquarium is way too small. He seems very small for 20+ years old.
@Markw84

Yes alone, inside, by a window. To be honest I lived in a small apartment in NYC and he has lived there all of his life. But I was too small when I got him to understand what he needed and my parents would just feed him and change his water frequently. When I got older and did some research I learned he needed a basking light. I got him one of those and he started growing a lot. But I know they grow into their environment. It is a regular sized tank with water and a basking platform for him to climb onto. I feel guilty not taking care of him better but now that I am older I started looking into more ways to confort his life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they don't grow into their environment. They get stunted because they are not cared for properly. They will grow slower and deformed because they don't have the proper room. When given proper care and room, they will start to grow to their proper size.
Sadly, too many turtles get stuck in this same kind of situations.
If you can't give him a large pond/pool, then consider finding him a home that has one. RES get very big when properly cared for.
I understand, this wasn't your fault as a kid. Now though you do need to do much better.
He also not only needs a basking light, but also uvb. He doesn't get that thru the glass and screen of the window. He needs a few things corrected that has too small for his age. Luckily he doesn't seem as bad as he likely should.

Krisreaz

New York
Yes I now have a basking and UVB light for him. I will definitely do better. I'm glad that this is not some sort of emergency. Thank you for your insight