Turtle won’t eat

Smschiro

Location (City and/or State)
Naperville, Illinois
hi, I am having difficulties with my tortoise. He won’t eat anything except zucchini. No pellets, turtle food, dandelion greens, nothing that’s good for him. I also caught him eating the repti-bark and pulled it out of his mouth. He has all the required lighting, UVA, UVB, etc, I bathe him, let him out for walks (in the house), trying to keep him active. I am going to the store to get calcium powder. He does have a cuttle bone but won’t eat it. I am at a loss. Any info would be helpful. He also stopped going up and down his ramp.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
mash the other stuff into the zucchini , or mash zucchini into the other stuff , where in order to eat the zucchini he'll need to eat some of the other stuff ..….. start with a little and keep increasing the amount of other stuff ……..

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I notice you didn’t say what the torts temps are ! And you let the tort on the floors of your house . The floors are too cold for the torts ! Try checking the temps of the torts enclosure . [emoji217]

Smschiro

Naperville, Illinois
I notice you didn’t say what the torts temps are ! And you let the tort on the floors of your house . The floors are too cold for the torts ! Try checking the temps of the torts enclosure . [emoji217]

The “cold” side is 72, and the hot basking spot is 90-95, the warm side is in the 80s. He has a lot of repti- bark to dig, as he loves to do. Just worried about his eating

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The “cold” side is 72, and the hot basking spot is 90-95, the warm side is in the 80s. He has a lot of repti- bark to dig, as he loves to do. Just worried about his eating

Why no earth in the enclosure? why only bark? Bark is not what is naturally what they would encounter...I would use more earth than bark....the tortoise can literally dig themselves into the earth 4 and 5 + feet straight down...so I would use a mixture of more earth than bark....before anyone jumps on me, I do not house this species but I do host CDTs and I am super familiar with a burrowing/burrowing down tortoise. More earth and less bark....my two cents worth.

Smschiro

Naperville, Illinois
Why no earth in the enclosure? why only bark? Bark is not what is naturally what they would encounter...I would use more earth than bark....the tortoise can literally dig themselves into the earth 4 and 5 + feet straight down...so I would use a mixture of more earth than bark....before anyone jumps on me, I do not house this species but I do host CDTs and I am super familiar with a burrowing/burrowing down tortoise. More earth and less bark....my two cents worth.

I had a large amount of eco earth coconut substrate in there, but it was extremely dusty and was worried about upper respiratory infections. He also stopped digging around. I don’t think he liked it, so I switched back to all bark.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I had a large amount of eco earth coconut substrate in there, but it was extremely dusty and was worried about upper respiratory infections. He also stopped digging around. I don’t think he liked it, so I switched back to all bark.

Did you initially moisten the substrate to allow for it to be packed down and solid so the tort has a good walking surface?