Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Two-headed turtle found in Turkey

skynews_551711.jpg

Visitors at a nature park in Turkey have been treated to a very rare sight - conjoined turtle twins.

A two-headed turtle has amazed visitors of a nature reserve in the eastern province of Izmir in Turkey.

The month-old turtle was found in the backyard of a house in the eastern province of Manisa and was immediately taken to the nature reserve park.

According to the state-run Anatolian news agency, the turtle is a spur-thighed tortoise, a species which can live up to 75 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its too bad that they're conjoined in that fashion. Looks like they're going to have trouble allowing one or the other to take the lead. But very interesting.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Torty Mom said:
The poor little thing! What are the chances of it growing?

I'm guessing it'll have an astronomically better chance in captivity than in the wild...according to the story, it survived in the wild for about a month, w/o becoming something's dinner, so it may well be a tough (or lucky) little Greek tortoise.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Terry Allan Hall said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
I think this kind of thing is sad!

Juist how it was born...do you feel that it should've been euthanized?

No, not euthanized. It doesn't carry a deadly parasite or possess a risk to the ecosystem. It's simply a birth defomity and even breeders have things like shell-less RES, two headed turts, or even siamese twins and they still go up for sale. It would be a shame to see such a rare and elusive wild animal be euthanized. IMO, I think it should be taken to a captive environment where it can live it's (or their) days in peace.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortoises101 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
I think this kind of thing is sad!

Juist how it was born...do you feel that it should've been euthanized?

No, not euthanized. It doesn't carry a deadly parasite or possess a risk to the ecosystem. It's simply a birth defomity and even breeders have things like shell-less RES, two headed turts, or even siamese twins and they still go up for sale. It would be a shame to see such a rare and elusive wild animal be euthanized. IMO, I think it should be taken to a captive environment where it can live it's (or their) days in peace.

The story says that it now lives in the nature reserve park, so hopefully it'll have good care...

Status
Not open for further replies.