Two New Marginated

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
I just got two marginated torts, one is 4.5 inches and the other is 4.75. They'er supposed to be females and are staying in a kiddie pool with plenty of room to get away from each other if they choose. Every time i look in they seem to be hanging out in the same area, either under the heat light or in the hide, so i'm assuming things will be alright. In the spring they will get to go outside in an 8x8 run. They were sold as captive bred from underground reptile and one has extra scutes on it's marginal scutes, is that a good sign that it was higher temps for female? I've been reading up on them and it seem that you can't really tell sex until 8 inches? I thought it was around 6. The reason i got two was i seem that i have bad luck with ordering girl then having them end up being boys. (too many boys bad and i like having creeps lol) I will get some pics up this weekend love to get the input.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yes, marginateds are some of the most difficult animals to sex. Beware of anyone saying they have females at that size. Even "temp sexed females" can end up being male. One that I got from Chris a few years back was supposed to be a female, but I now know that he's a little male, given that he decided to flash me. I want to say he's around six inches in length. But that's the thing. Honestly, I wasn't positive my girls were girls until they started dropping infertile eggs.

Margies are difficult to sex. As for keeping them together, I wouldn't recommend it, especially with a pair. If it's temporary, you can try it, but watch them like a hawk. One thing I like to do when keeping juveniles together, especially ones whose sex is uncertain, is to put a camera or go pro on their enclosure. Many times, tortoises won't behave naturally when a person is around them. Leave the room, and you get a look at how they behave when they feel they're not being watched. This is a good way to separate males that are coming of age and deciding to be aggressive jerks. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of these guys. I was curious about those tortoises at Underground Reptiles. I've been looking for another female myself. I, like you, have terrible luck with the ladies. Every hatchling and juvenile I get seems to be a dude. I have the space and resources to separate the lot of them (I keep every animal separate, even the girls, which is great for controlling paternity; I know the parents of every hatchling this way), but it's nice to have ladies around. My biggest, Lady Gino, is the most awesome tortoise around.

T.G.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Here my new marginated temped for female, and the larger has extra scutes. That is the one whose plastron is a little concaved. Like i said my females have a way of being male by the time they reach the right size.20160304_104552.jpg 20160304_104653.jpg Chloe with extra scutes
20160304_104629.jpg 20160304_104619.jpg 20160304_104744.jpgZoe the smaller one20160304_104647.jpg 20160304_104727.jpg 20160304_104819.jpgThere temp home until spring when they'll get to be outdoors20160304_091555.jpg 20160304_105038.jpg

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Ok everyone i know i get pic happy.....sorry but i love it.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
They look good. Yeah, if I'd have to guess, the big one is a male, the smaller one is a female, but once again, hard to tell.

T.G.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
That's what i was thinking too. Guess i'll know in a few years. lol