Two smaller torts together

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatsx

5 Year Member
What is a species of torts that can be housed together I read Russians are a no no I'm looking for smaller ones since I live in Michigan them living outside year round won't work start off in 200 gallon end up in 4x8 or 4x12 turtle table outside is 15x30

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to house 2 of any species together long term in a inside enclosure. It may work, it may not. Housing multiple tortoises work best in a very large enclosure with many visual barriers. If aggression occurs do you have enough room for 2 separate indoor enclosures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
None. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. There are a few exceptions to this with some individuals, but generally, for most of the commonly available species pairs are a bad idea.

Why do you want a pair? They don't get lonely. They prefer to be alone, and its "natural" for them. If you intend to breed, you won't know the sexes until they are older and you will still need at least one male and two or three females.

If you want more than one, just house them separately. Or get a trio instead of a pair. Usually a trio is less problematic than a pair, but you will still have to watch them closely and be ready to separate.

swatsx

5 Year Member
What's a good single tort for my living quarters ?

Or better yet a small tort that can stay in my 200

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, tortoises should be kept outside. Can they live indoors? Yes, but they really need to be outside.

If you want to keep a tortoise forever and ever indoors, then you MUST buy a good quality, expensive UVB light to provide him with what he needs to make his calcium work. It's a lot more costly to keep an indoor tortoise than it is to keep him outside.

Redfooted tortoises do pretty well indoors. They need humidity and moist substrate with lots of plantings and a large habitat. In fact, any tortoise that you get, regardless of the tortoise's size, is going to need a LARGE habitat.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Well going outside daily in warm weather is no problem living year round problem

Status
Not open for further replies.