Two Sulcatas... sex guesses? :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrydiego

5 Year Member
Hey to all,

New to the forum :) Frank(ie) is our Sulcata. He/she seems very happy and is growing nicely. We want to get a partner for him/her. Here are some pictures of Frankie and them a set of pictures of another Sulcata a guy is offering us (Frankie's friend). They look the same to me, but can anyone tell if they are the same sex?

Thanks!

Gerry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Gerry!

Your pictures didn't show up.

Quite a few of us here on the Forum download a free picture program, such as photobucket.com, put our pictures in there, then copy/paste the code over to here. Its easy peasy and free. Much easier than the picture program the Forum has.

Adding another sulcata to an existing sulcata's territory seldom works. In the first place, you must quarantine for a period of time. Then when you put them together, the original tortoise is going to want to chase the newcomer out of his territory. Tortoises are solitary creatures. If you have a very, very large pen, you can put more than one tortoise or even a group, but you still run the risk of injury or even death.

gerrydiego

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for your reply and the great information. So even if you have a male and female Sulcatas they prefer to be each in its own territory? Here we were being all romantic about getting a mate and maybe babies some day :-(

Let's see if this works... I will try with Frankie first and if it works, will add the possible Mr. or Mrs.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/...D-9D9C-BDC09908C522-1340-0000017FB75ECAA2.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/...1-8ADB-A692642A2D3C-1340-000001800E4A2804.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/...8-BC68-7AF25AEC3714-1340-00000184EA614145.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/...C-8BDC-2C632B3610CE-1340-00000184F342CD48.jpg

gerrydiego

5 Year Member
Hi,

I got a message that this requires a moderator's approval. Did I do something wrong here?

Thanks

Gerry

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gerrydiego said:
Hi,

I got a message that this requires a moderator's approval. Did I do something wrong here?

Thanks

Gerry

You did nothing wrong. Every new member must have their first five posts approved by a Mod before they show to the public.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, even a male and female is not a good combo. You would be better off with a 2-1 combo. Two females or more to one male. However, you have to have a very large area and lots of sight barriers for them to be together.

BTW, hello and welcome :) nice looking sully.

gerrydiego

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
gerrydiego said:
Hi,

Thanks

Gerry

You did nothing wrong. Every new member must have their first five posts approved by a Mod before they show to the public.
Ok :D
I definitively need to do a bit more research about the extra Torts... thanks for all the great info...

and any guesses on if its Frank or Francine??? ;-)

mytortET

5 Year Member
Hi there and welcome to TFO. :) I'm fairly new to the forum so someone else will be able to help you with your "sex-y" question. :p

Your sullies look great! How old are they and how much do they weigh? :cool:

gerrydiego

5 Year Member
mytortET said:
Hi there and welcome to TFO. :) I'm fairly new to the forum so someone else will be able to help you with your "sex-y" question. :p

Your sullies look great! How old are they and how much do they weigh? :cool:

Thanks, actually the pictures were just of Frankie. The only one we have at this point and after the advice, may be the only one we have. :-(
I need to weigh and measure him/her. I will post the info soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.